Lost in questions

Hi I just started Reborning. I have a daughter with Angelman syndrome and we lost our 12 year old and they were real close. I’m doing this because she loves watching reborn babies on YouTube since my brother passed and to help my mind. This will be the only grandbaby she will ever have for us, so I want to help make her one that looks real and she could have forever. Now I found out the hard way that you have to wash the kits in order for the paint to stick everywhere but since this is my 1st prototype I had where some paint was cracking or chipping is it because I need to seal it, was a layer too thick or did I notcook it enough. Even putting the eyes in kinda of cracked the paint even though it didn’t chip there, you can still see the stretching of the vinyl. Also do I need to seal the paint. Please help.

What kind of paint did you use?

Also, FYI, in reborning communities “prototype” means the first couple copies of a kit that the sculptor chooses a small number of elite artists to paint to use as the finished doll pictures you see when buying a kit :wink:

3 Likes

Genesis , thanks.

Okay! Maybe you’d like to post some pictures here for some help?

Usually cracking happens when paint is too thick. You can protect it from scratches and reduce shine by sealing with matte varnish, satin varnish, etc - but I think cracking and chipping is purely a thick paint issue. Sealing isn’t necessary on heat set paints but can certainly help with realism and protect the paint :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What kit and what kind of paint did you use? You can strip it with Windsor and Newton Brush Cleaner and Restorer. Then wash it really well with hot water and Dawn dish soap and start over without spending a lot of money. Depending on the color of the vinyl, not all kits need neutralizing, especially the newer ones.

1 Like

The restore will take it all off even if it was baked on? If so, can I put the hair in the oven if I can repaint it Jeanhai?

The Windsor and Newton will take it off even after it’s been baked. You may need to use a toothbrush to get it in the small areas-ears, creases, fingers, toes, etc. I use air dry paints but, from what I understand, you can bake the head with the hair if you cover it with a wet washcloth. I’m not sure how many times you can safely do it, though. I’m sure someone else will know.

1 Like

Thank you. I thought about putting air dry paints on to of her

Oh I did watch custom doll baby. Thank you. Question: do I have to use matte or satin varnish to seal the babies or can I use thick medium?

I’ve never heard of anyone using thick medium for sealing. It might be better to stick with something tried and true.

2 Likes

:ok_hand:

Hey I was trying to figure out where I got that from but if you look under the Prima color pencils it say in BB you can seal it with thick medium or matte varnish.
Thanks for everyone’s help.