Logan, June and Johannah + getting out of the hobby

It’s been a while since I’ve been on here and I’ve missed this forum!

I finished these three and one of them is on Reborns.com. I’m waiting for my 24hr penalty to post the other two. I have three more that are nearly done (Ramsey, Ashley awake, newborn Joseph asleep).

I’ve come to the conclusion that the market is so flooded that I can barely sell the doll at cost.

This has always just been a hobby for me and while I’m not out to make a a profit I certainly don’t want to loose money. Sooooo hopefully my babies will sell for Christmas and then I plan on exploring other interests.
But not before making a babydoll for myself!
I’m donating a Zuri for an elderly woman this Christmas and when BB has their sales, I might buy kits to use up the rest of my supplies and donate the dolls :heart:

12 Likes

Sorry you are leaving the reborn art making community.

I wouldn’t leave if sales are the issue…

Not sure how long you have been doing this but if you are constantly improving your skills, and you hang out and create a client base you will be able to ride out the slow times.

Reborns.com is a great place to sell, it is a busy platform, all different skill levels and price points.

I totally understand if you are ready to be done, but if you are still on the fence, wait for the Christmas season and see how you do, sales pick up a lot then.

2 Likes

I agree. Don’t let the fly by nights and China dolls run you out. This will level out in time. If you truly love it keep going.

2 Likes

I like the way you roll…this is suppose to be fun, if you love it, keep it as a hobby.

2 Likes

Yes! Thank you. I will have six dolls up by then. Hopefully some will sell.
Being Canadian and having to buy everything in USD just doesn’t make it a viable hobby for me. That’s not so say I’ll never make any more babies, just that I probably won’t try and sell them.
I’ll still stay on the forum and drool over all of your amazing artwork !

3 Likes

Yes, this makes a lot of sense to me!

I am Canadian too and the struggle is real by chance we have MacPherson, their prices are in usd$ but at least we save on shipping and customs fees.

1 Like

I swear Canadians get the bad end of the stick, I have this fantasy of rolling up with a U-haul full of kits and supplies and selling them at a fair price in a parking lot in the middle of the night.

8 Likes

You know what Gina? I can totally see you doing that!!! How fun would that be for our Canadian reborning friends!!

2 Likes

I’m in ! Lol

1 Like

@Gabriell I love this idea! I have had similar thoughts. You know – some way to get dolls and supplies into Canada and then let the folks who need them get them. I am sure whether there is some glitch to that, legal glitch I mean, but it is a wonderful thought.

2 Likes

Come on up! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yep, me too :slight_smile:

1 Like

I wonder if I really could? I could stop in Seattle visit my family, then catch a ferry from Port Angeles…

Does Canada check stuff you are hauling? I could be the El Chapo of Reborn supplies.

I am kinda thinking it would be fun.

If you are Canadian law people I am just joking and this post will self destruct in 15 seconds.

3 Likes

Very interesting…

I was joking but part of me was thinking “hey why couldn’t I do that?” I could say I was doing an art show or moving my grandmother who is a doll hoarder…

Held at the border for smuggling two reborn dolls…that is just odd and a little scary.

1 Like

I visited my son and his wife last year in Louisiana. Bought an extra suitcase down there. I had a bunch of kits sent to his address. Traveled home with one full suitcase of kits! Funny thing is, mine and my daughter’s suitcases were looked through at customs, but the one with all the kits WASNT!