Liquitex soft body paints

Wow!!! She looks amazing!!!$

2 Likes

BB should use that Sweet Pea for advertising on their site. How long do you let the paint cure before sealing?

2 Likes

I use Liquitex as well. Baby FX did not exist when I started painting so that was not an option. I discovered what works for me through trial and error. I have never had these paints fade or come off. I did have trouble getting the translucent look of Genesis, but I am closer. Here is the link to the thread where I introduced myself:
http://discourse.bountifulbaby.com/t/introducing-myself-and-some-of-my-babies/33556/29

I love learning from others and sharing. I do not mean to encourage anyone to do what I doā€¦it is just what has worked for me.

5 Likes

Thank you so much for your kind compliment! I really enjoyed working on this kit. The paint took to the vinyl beautifully and I didnā€™t have 1 issue with it. I wait until the paint is totally cured before applying the seal. I start testing after about a week with a damp q-tip on each piece.

3 Likes

Your babies are beautiful!

1 Like

Thank you Rainbow! Your Sweet Pea is beautiful. I have that kit and the asleep version to paint someday. It has taken a lot of practice to be happy with my painting and it takes me forever to finish a baby! I have not got to work on Londyn since holiday breakā€¦maybe next week. She will probably be and Easter baby.

2 Likes

I have been reborning for over 7yrs and I am still practicing. LOL. I love trying different tools, techniques and paints so I am always learning and practicing. It is good that you take your time because I found it is better that you take your time and do not rush through the process. I have had babies sit for weeks before I decide where to go next with them. I currently have 1 like that which is little Sophie Wosnjuk. Poor baby has just been sitting there waiting for me.

2 Likes

Thank you Tiondrawhiterapids! I look forward to seeing how things go for you with these paints. It took a lot of experimenting for me to get a translucent look. In the beginning I thought the air dry paints just created sort of a flat look, but I donā€™t have anywhere to bake and have some health issues so I kept at it and finally can get what I want. One thing I did when I started was try to use the same techniques as the Genesis tutorials and that did not quite work for me. I also had some of the air dry made for reborning look great for about 2 months and then fade. Someday I would like to try painting with Genesis, but I am so used to air dry I might just end up with a mess!

2 Likes

I am sorry that I just got a chance to reply to your question. I use distilled water with either ultra matte gel or matte medium. If I want the paint translucent but thicker I mix with blending gel or float medium. I always hesitate to give advice on ratios because most of the time i do not meaure, I just know how it has to look and go on for meā€¦

3 Likes

You are very welcome. I am so busy with work if I added in baking time right now I do not think I would ever finish a baby, One thing I like about Liquitex is it has a pretty long shelf life even after you open it. I had several of the made for reborns paint dry up before I had even opened it.I wasted a lot of money having that happen,

4 Likes

As long as you match the Liquitex colors to the Genesis 5 basic colors I donā€™t see why you canā€™t use the Genesis mixing chart. Between the 2 brands some of the colors are named the same and some are not. For example you will not find a genesis yellow in the Liquitex colors, but you can look at the Liquitex yellows and find a close enough match.

I think your question is directed to @jennyk :slight_smile:

Hi there! I saw your private message and responded. Let me know if you have other questions and I will try to help. I was a little confused as I was not sure if you were asking me how to make your baby shine or get rid of shine. There are a few others here that use Liquitex too, so feel free to ask your questions again as I think we all have slightly different approaches to painting and it is so fun to hear how others paint. I know I have picked up pieces from different artists and brought it together kind of in my own way. I look forward to seeing your Ember!

I have been using liquitex on my last few Alternatives. Now I am trying it on my first realistic - having fun!

2 Likes

I just bought some liquitex soft body paint to use. I would like some clarification. How long do you wait between painting each layer? How long do you wait after the final painting to apply the sealer?

Watching this topic too as I also plan on using Liquitex paints.

I start with the head, and by the time I finish with the last limb, the headā€™s ready for the next layer. I wait 2-3 days before I seal.

1 Like

I wait an hour between layers but is is dry to the touch by the time you finish with the last limb I am just extra cautious. I wait a week before sealing for the same reason. :slightly_smiling_face: I also work on 3 dolls at a time.

I just keep painting, making sure itā€™s dry to the touch. I donā€™t wait extra between layers, but when I finish painting I wait at least 3 days, but usually more, then seal, then wait about a week again and then assemble.

In warm weather about 7-10 days and in damp or cold weather it may take twice as long. This is for just letting them sit, but you can speed up the cure time by using a fan or a convection oven on low temp.