Liquitex soft body paints

Somebody on our forum uses Liquitex Soft Body Paints. I need to ask her a question and I don’t remember who it is. Can you PM me please?

1 Like

@rainbow?

1 Like

@DDDolly?

1 Like

She’s relatively new I believe and posted pictures of 2 or 3 of her babies.

2 Likes

@jennyk?

1 Like

She found me. It was @rainbow. Thanks.

3 Likes

Why use a medium that wasn’t intended to be used on vinyl when there are mediums made for it? Also, buyers have learned that Genesis and Baby FX are the premium paints so they help your doll’s value.

Baby FX was formulated for vinyl and gets great reviews by the artists that use it. Plus, it’s easier to get help when you need it. I’m just curious.

3 Likes

I’ve redone a few babies where paint was wiping off. They were badly painted by artists who used acrylics that were not ment for vinyl. Honestly I’m disappointed in new artists who try cutting corners using improper paints. It’s not doing them or their customers any good. My first response to ladies who ask me to redo their babies is how long have you had her and if it’s within paypals return policy, I tell them to get a refund! And if you don’t think they care, guess again! They spread word to their fb groups and friends warning others about these crappy painted babies.

Now I’m not saying all who use these other paints are making crappy babies but there are alot who do. I belong to about 30 reborn fb pages and see mommies devastated by receiving these types of babies. Please think twice using products that are not ment long term for vinyl.

My rant is over. :wink:

5 Likes

Dang. I didn’t mean to upset anybody. I just wanted to ask her a question and I’ve seen crappy babies painted with Genesis as well. Anyway, I got my answer.

5 Likes

Sorry if I came off harsh. I’ve just seen my share of bad babies. Your also right about crappy genesis babies too, and those I’ve seen with genesis are seasoned artists.

Anyways my point is I’ve seen beautiful painted babies but it doesn’t stay that way when it’s painted wrong. Not worth the risk.

2 Likes

I get it. Appreciate the input.

2 Likes

Absolutely! :smile:

That’s awesome!

Feel better soon! :mask:

1 Like

@jeanhai Please don’t let these comments upset or discourage you.

5 Likes

We’re all here to learn and help each other. It’s one thing when there’s an artist already experienced in using different paint mediums (like @DDDolly) but when new artists come, I think it’s helpful they understand the pros and cons of the various paints and mediums.

I, for one, have been spared many “bad” episodes because others have jumped in with their knowledge and hands-on experience. If we didn’t care about each other growing and learning, nothing would be said when we see someone doing something that could have a bad and unwanted outcome…instead, we’d just sit back and watch. Please know that what Carrie @snuggle2me and I said came from a position of helping and not trying to upset @jeanhai or anyone else.

4 Likes

I know. I’m just trying to find the best, least expensive, professional, archival quality acrylics for me. I’ve always used air dry paints with good results. When I contacted BabyFX to ask if they were archival quality, she didn’t know. Liquitex is. I’ve just started using them and I really like them. I’ve learned some useful tips here and everyone is very helpful. No offense taken.

6 Likes

I totally understand where you are coming from, but some of the comments tend to put acrylic paints into a poor category. I totally agree that cheap craft acrylic paints are disastrous to use on reborns, but the topic is “Liquitex soft body paints” which is a high quality artist paint. They are a flexible paint and have been tested for light-fastness in which most of their colors are rated 1(the highest) and these ratings are printed on their labels. I have only seen the ASTM labels on the high quality acrylic paints and I believe it is also on the genesis heat set paints. Since I like trying different paints I have tried 4 or 5 of the paints “specially made for vinyl”. Not one of them has the ASTM label that shows they have been tested. I am not saying they are bad paints and I trust the ones producing them are living up to the performance levels, but I am suggesting things to look for when you are researching your paints.

10 Likes

The Liquitex does bead up on the 1st and maybe 2nd layers. After that it does not bead up. I’ve tried the Baby FX and it dries so much faster so I didn’t have a lot of time to work with the blending like I do with the Liquitex. My 2nd kit I worked on with the FX was a darker skin tone and when I went to pounce the paint it moved around on the vinyl and I ended up with a hot mess that was blotchy. I heard so many good things about this paint and I really wanted it to work! The Liquitex soft body paint is very smooth and creamy which causes it to blend very well. It doesn’t dry as fast and I don’t use the slow dry with it. The only draw back is that the Liquitex takes longer to completely cure.

5 Likes

In warm weather about 7-10 days and in damp or cold weather it may take twice as long. This is for just letting them sit, but you can speed up the cure time by using a fan or a convection oven on low temp.

3 Likes

I use distilled water and a small amount of Liquitex ultra matte gel. It is very easy to blend IMO. I will add a photo of a Sweet Pea that I did with the Liquitex to give an example. It only takes a few minutes to dry to the touch. By the time I get finished with the last piece it is dry enough for me to go back to the 1st piece for another layer.

16 Likes

That is a really good Sweet Pea!

5 Likes