Let’s show our WIP part 4 (Part 1)

Since part 3 has just now reached its max just thought to start part 4 for WIP photos

15 Likes

Gray Alien WIP

I can’t believe I overlooked the 2 most basic things… neutralizing (I don’t know why I said color correcting) and multi color layering. I was wondering why it wasn’t darkening very much. This kit is slightly pinkish…did a mint green wash and bam, already looked much better.

The other issue was I keep trying to revert back to kindergarten where gray is gray and was only using that to try and build up color. I’ve gotten better with mottling, I use all different colors, but washes I keep just wanting to use the “final” color and it don’t work that way (I should have known that from my Avatar…she wasn’t just blue…i mixed purple and blue to get her base color and stripes). So, I mixed up a dark purple and did a couple washes and started working up the shading in the face…it doesn’t quite show up on camera like it does in person (hopefully you all can see it, tried tilting the head a little to help).

16 Likes

Looking great!! and I love how you share what you try and what works for you - thank you

2 Likes

I can’t wait to see this one finished. It looks good so far!

2 Likes

@Phassell I can’t comment on the other WIP thread because it closed but I absolutely love your Nino and those lips are perfection.

2 Likes

Still rooting but am loving painting this kit :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

30 Likes

@GrammysReborns
Continuing from part 3…

Awww you have the whole gang!! I love them!

2 Likes

He’s perfect! What kit is this? I have a thing for the “sucky” lip :heart:

1 Like

@katy777 I love him! Where did you find his eyes? I ended up ordering some from dollssoreal, it was the only place I could find 26mm

It’s Ava by Cassie Brace

1 Like

Looks great.

1 Like

So cute!

Thank you I got his eyes from macpherson’s

1 Like

Aww…Thank you very much @JackieA! I like to tell what I did to either save someone else the trouble in the future or to remind myself in the future. lol

I just can’t keep myself from taking a basic view of painting…my college Art Professor tried to drill the same thing into me…he gave me the example of a mouth…as a child, yes the mouth is red, but if you were to color the tongue, cheeks, gums the same red, it would be flat and you wouldn’t really know what you were looking at other than an open mouth, now you add varying colors of purple, gray, blue, yellow, and even black and white and you can see the difference in the gums, the cheek, the tongue. I’ve always tried to remember that, but it’s a struggle.

3 Likes

Thank you very much @DollChick and @Evee! This is the last “new” kind of reborn I’m doing for awhile. I’m going to be doing a few more Avatars so I can get a break from experiments. lol Since I know how to do them, they will be slightly easier…just have to think of new stripes/dots designs. One Avatar is a stripped kit and if all goes well, I’ll be using my first blank kit for an Avatar after.

2 Likes

So glad you are making an alien. This is how I’ve always seen this sculpt in my mind!

1 Like

Yes and I want to make a Cindy Lou Who if I have time.

2 Likes

That is such a great idea!

That is so sweet of you! Thank you so much!

1 Like

Do you have ideas on eyes yet?

1 Like