Lashes and Lips

So, while shopping for reborns online, my bf’s oldest took an interest in the dolls and pointed out a sculpt he liked best, “Sugar”.

A few weeks later, I noticed someone had posted a doll made with the Sugar sculpt announcing they were getting out of the reborning hobby, and selling this doll for just a hundred dollars. We jumped at the chance and got lucky. (We are grateful and need to send her a thank-you note for selling at such a discount.) It’s unknown if she was the artist or a collector.

Sugar just arrived in the mail today. This is my first experience up close with a reborn.
I think she’s in very decent condition, not super detailed as I don’t notice any veining or mottling at all.
She doesn’t have eyelashes on closed eyes. A slight concern is that her lips have some slight peeling. It doesn’t seem to have effected the lip color much.

What can I do to help fix the peeling and attach lashes before Sugar is gifted? I have zero reborning experience and probably average crafting skills.

I know he’s going to love her. Just want to make her look pretty.

Thanks for your help, guys. :two_hearts:

1 Like

It would be helpful if you could post a picture so we can see how best to guide you.

1 Like

Sure thing! Gimme a minute to unbox in private so the new Daddy doesn’t see.

1 Like

3 Likes

I guess she has a little mottling? It’s very faint.

1 Like

Do you know what type of paint she was painted with?

1 Like

1 Like

She also has heavily creased eyes done with brown, but no brows.

1 Like

I suspect this uncovered magnet on the paci is the reason for the chapped lips.

1 Like

No idea what kind of paints were used. The post was very brief. We just saw three fully dressed pix in someone’s home and a statement that they were getting out of the hobby.

1 Like

Appears to be peeling varnish. Whatever was used to gloss the lips is peeling off.

1 Like

I just looked up the name and it seems the seller was also the artist and Sugar was priced at $225. originally. Wasn’t able to see the full posting though to find out what kind of paint was used.

1 Like

Probably? Would clear nail polish be better or worse than nothing? I won’t do anything rash without advice. There’s plenty of time before adoption day. Could I just buy some fake lashes and use super glue?

1 Like

Sorry if that just made everyone cringe.🤦

2 Likes

I would not put polish on them, it will probably yellow and peel. I think if you want a do it yourself fix, you could get some mod podge to re-gloss the lips but the peeling needs to be removed first. I myself hate the fake lashes on sleeping babies but have had customers that like them. The wispy fake lashes from BB are much prettier on reborns than the store bought lashes if you choose to glue them.

1 Like

How old is the child it’s for?

1 Like

Definitely use wispy lashes or thread lashes (the strip on these is almost invisible). hunnybunsrebornsupply.com has them. The others look like spider legs on a newborn. If you use Super Glue on the lashes, just put a tiny bit, with a toothpick, on one end of the eyelid crease and attach the end of the lashes. When that dries, do another small section. Repeat until you get to the end. I do it this way because you have to work quickly with super glue and you don’t have much time to position the lashes correctly. You could also paint some lashes and light eyebrows and seal them. Just don’t make the lashes really long or they won’t look good. You can put a piece of Dr. Scholl’s Moleskin or a piece of soft fabric (flannel would work) over the magnet to protect the lips.

3 Likes

He’s almost ten. Mature for his age.

1 Like

Since it is for a child,I would not not worry about putting lashes on it. Glued lashes are going to come off with handling and clothes changing.

2 Likes

Could the lashes be reglued if they came off, or would the old glue need removed before reapplication?

1 Like