Kit Buyers Beware

I was referring to the comment @AnnieSokay made.

What i have read about this China knockoff situation in the past, is that China does not have any copyright or protection laws for merchandise. Excuse my ignorance in commerce, trade and international law because I honestly don’t know how this works. If an artist designs a sculpt and they want to mass produce vinyl kits, I’m guessing they go to Chinese mfg. companies because of cost? They receive their goods, but since China has no protection laws, that company takes the design and does their own thing? If this is correct, aren’t the artists who go to Chinese factories setting themselves up in the first place? I’m not saying it’s right, just inevitable.

3 Likes

I checked into pouring vinyl and China is the only one who is willing to do it. It is smelly, poisonous, and polluting.

1 Like

You are right there is a dependency. We are hooked on cheap crap. We use it, throw it away. Back in my parents and grandparents day they held onto stuff forever, it was built to last and quality was a big deal. You invested a lot of hard earned money and you wanted something that would last a long time. People repaired shoes and refrigerators. My great grandparents had the same sofa for 50 years and it still looked new, and my whole life they always had the same appliances, I inherited some of them from my grandmother when she died.

China depends on us depending on this new system. They suck, we suck because its our planet and kids who lose.

If we stop buying the crap or at least demand a better product and better working conditions for the people who make our stuff maybe it will create a change?

Off my soap box, sorry.

2 Likes

In China people use the bathroom wherever. I mean wherever. It’s not immoral so much as a different culture. I think they’re willing to do whatever it takes to be number one.

We’ve lost that in the west because we don’t think it’s nice to hurt other people and run them over twice to make sure they’re dead and not have to pay for their bills for life. That’s actual thing. Don’t watch the video of the 2 year old! A guy ran his own mom over and then realized it when she didn’t show up.

I’ve known western Chinese and Chinese from Vietnam. They’re nothing like this. I’ve also had an encounter with the Chinese tourists and that’s shocking and made me angry and flustered.

They forced Disney to give them controlling interest in Disney Shanghai and ran it into the ground. People spitting, shoving and peeing everywhere. Western companies see dollars everywhere not realizing that they will always win. You mfg there and in 10 years they put you out of business.

No, that is not true. All my toddler kits (other than Liam by Bonnie Brown ) are all 100% German kits, made in Germany who have regulations and labor laws just like USA (may be stricter, I’m not sure) BUT are def safe.

2 Likes

Yes, what a shame that human nature isn’t always nice. It’s not just in China, it’s everywhere…We stopped in Gallup, NM. after reading that it’s the largest hub for Native American artists and jewelry production. A local jewelry dealer warned us to be careful who we buy from. Apparently there is a big Federal Investigation going on. A middle eastern family is being charged for counterfeiting native art-having fakes reproduced in the Philippines, China and Pakistan. I was so bummed out, I didn’t buy anything.

4 Likes

Hey I am an hour away in Grants. You probably missed it, lol!

Yes, we drove right past there. It was the first time i went to CA. I must say AZ and NM are gorgeous. Can’t believe it took me this long to make the drive. My hubby asked if i wanted to check out Hollywood, I said no way, I wanted to check out everything we passed on the drive out. Actually,i did buy something. Checked out the flea market in Gallup and bought a sand art picture from a couple. They demonstrated how they made them, out his signature on the back. So, I felt good about that purchase. it’s definitely got an original.

2 Likes