Keeping a secret

Has anyone made a doll as a gift/suprise for someone you live with? As some of you know, I’m making my mom an elephant reborn but I have no idea how I will keep it a secret. :elephant::elephant:

Yes I have! I did for 2 of my daughters and I just worked on them while they were at school. You could work on it but tell your mom it’s a gift/custom for someone else if she asks.

1 Like

Both those things are technically true. :slightly_smiling_face:
Maybe find a way to cover your work area while you aren’t working on it? Or close off that room if possible? Tell her it’s top secret if she asks why, or that it’s such a mess that you don’t want to deal with it right now.
Does she live with you?

1 Like

Yes she does. I’m 18 so I’m still at home lol

1 Like

You can flat out tell her it’s a surprise for her and that you don’t want her to spoil the surprise. If you have an idea of when you’ll be done (her bday, or Xmas or whenever) tell her she’ll get to see it all done then!

If she trusts you and isn’t too nosy, that might be the way to go. That would have worked for me as a mom of someone your age… Now if a child much younger says that, then a parent starts to worry that there’s going to be glue in the carpet or all the tape wasted, or tiny beads spilled everywhere or something. Lol

She isn’t nosy but she is very good at guessing. She guesses every gift I give her before I give it to her and then it’s not a suprise. I’ve been very careful to only mention this kit once to her (Just because she is superstitious about elephant trucks being down and Babette’s kind of up and down if that makes sense.) I’ve only mentioned it to my dad since then. He knows what I’m doing. I want it to be a big surprise. We are super close so she knows how much money I have and usually where I spent it and what on. And she usually watches me open packages. It’s gonna be hard to make sure she doesn’t realize. I figure I can tell her I’m topping up on supplies and when the box gets here, just tell her it’s just beads and needles and stuff and not that interesting. I hope that will work lol. It’s just keeping the painting process a secret lol

1 Like

If I even say it’s a suprise and she sees the MacPherson’s box, she will know.

Would it be possible to do it at a friend’s house?

1 Like

It would take longer but that could be an option!

Why not just say it is for a customer who wants it by Christmas. Then, she will get Christmas. :slight_smile: I don’t think that is lying to her. But, it is not saying, Oh, it’s for you! :slight_smile:

That’s a good idea but since I’ve never sold she would be suspicious.

Maybe you shouldn’t try to hide it at all. If she see’s it and asks about it just tell her you’re making it for a friend. If she makes any negative comments about it you might decide not to give it to her. However if she says how cute it is and Oh, I Love it-----then you know it will be a very loved gift. JMO

2 Likes

Yep don’t hide it just put a cloth over your dolls and let her know you are keeping the dust off of them. Along with other suggestions you should be Ok. With the cloth she won’t see it all the time.

2 Likes

Okay I was thinking about an easier way to do this. Maybe you guys could give me your opinions? I was thinking maybe I can give her the blank kit for Christmas with a promise to paint it for her. That way I don’t risk blowing the suprise before Christmas. Do you guys think that would be better? Is that even a good gift?

1 Like

I think it is. :slightly_smiling_face: