Is this okay for baking?

I’m getting my 3rd kit today! Is this an okay temperature and time for baking and sealing? I set it to 11 mintues and allowed the oven to heat up to full temp with the doll in. Is there a risk of warping?

1 Like

I use a nuwave and heat 260 for 11 minutes with doll inside. 2-3 minutes for preheating and 8 to bake is the breakdown. I have not had any warp or melting but I do switch sides I bake on every other time. So one time on the right side of the face and the next bake on the left and so on. Also sealing layer I cook 3 seperate times with same heating and time but let cool in between obviously.

1 Like

I use the 3" extender ring though and if the kit is too large I will bake head and limbs seperate, as needed.

I have a knock off nuwave, and I set it to 260 for 8 minutes. I dont preheat, I put the baby in while its cold and allow it to heat slowly with the oven. I have never had any issues with melting or warping. You shouldn’t need to preheat, as I’ve read somewhere else on the forum, the baby doesn’t need to be at 250 for the entire 8 minutes, it just needs to reach that temperature for a couple minutes.

Also make sure that you put a towel or something down in the bottom of the nuwave, you do not want your kit to touch anything that is metal/glass. Make sure the kit isn’t touching itself either, as this can cause problems too.

I use the Americana soft touch varnish which is air dry, so I won’t weigh in on the varnish times.

I’m with you , it has always been the standard 265 degrees for 8 minutes and your varnish/seal same temp bake 3 times. cool in between. Where did all these other numbers come from? I have never seen those before.

4 Likes

Custom doll baby, she’s the one to get me into reborning! @Shera1

I’m not familiar with this artist. You do what you feel comfortable with and enjoy your new art. I didn’t mean just your temperatures in your notebook, it seems there are several who responded who bake at many different temperatures. Some 250, 260, and all different times for the bake. I was not criticizing you my dear just observing the different answers from everyone Enjoy.:footprints::baby:

2 Likes

There is always a risk of warping. Evans especially the knock off’s are notorious for being inconsistent. So having a digital thermometer or some kind of thermometer in there is a good practice to get into I’ve had a couple heads caving on me and one bubble up it’s very very sad and not easily fixable. I’ve had a few heads were on the neck plans so they get a weird chin area and shape and no longer hold their heads up. I started stuffing the fiberfill but then I got a very very shiny top of the head that started to bubble up because the fiberfill I think heated up inside and have nowhere for the heat to escape there is fiberfill imprints in my vinyl where it melted to it. I stuffed it because I didn’t want the neck to collapse because it was a bigger head. I would be afraid to lay it on its side and have it collapse.

Wow I just realized I have issues lol

1 Like

I am on team 265 for 8 minutes. What does ‘let oven warm for 3 minutes with doll inside’ mean. Is that before or after bake? Either way this is not needed.

Kim from Custom doll baby says that she leaves the baby in for an extra three minutes to allow the oven to reach its desired temp! I’m a beginner so I’m just going off from what I know!

I wouldn’t bake my kit for 15 minutes at a time… bake varnish the same as every other layer, but bake it 3 times, cooling between each bake.

1 Like

Ok sounds good. My normal baking temp and time is 250 for 11 (3 minutes to warm, 8 to cure). Is this a good baking time? @ellakabella

Ah I see. I also learned to reborn using Kim’s tutorials. She is so nice for doing that, her videos are incredibly helpful.

2 Likes

Yes. I like her voice and the way she has of teaching. Very professional.

3 Likes

Shes the bomb.com lol!

2 Likes

265 for 8 minutes - why complicate things? :joy:

My vinyl pieces are quite flimsy when they come out if the oven but not abnormally from what I’m used to. So baking at a hotter temp but shorter time will cure? I’ll try 265 for 8 minutes as many comments are suggesting