Is it me or is more people painting hair or leaving the babies bald?

I do more painted hair babies now because since I had back surgery I can not sit very long to root. I do still root smaller heads on occasions. I personally have come to prefer painted hair in my own collection. No muss no fuss. I don’t have to worry about hair messing up when baby is laying down or being changed. I see a lot of rooted hair now days that does not look good too so rooted is not always better.

5 Likes

I agree that it’s very hard to keep rooted hair looking like it should. it’s not a matter of what’s better. It is a matter of what pleases you as an artist and in your case, what doesn’t hurt you. Do what you love and do it well.

5 Likes

I am rooting most of my dolls, I mean my keepers. It really is not worth all the time and effort to root the ones I want to sell. In this moment I am rooting my Kylin by LTR, who I started just after Xmas, and spent at least 25 hours on her, and am only about 1/2 there. There is no way I am doing that for somebody else unless they are willing to pay for the time.

6 Likes

They can look just as real if YOU do it! Lol. If I could paint it like that I might never root another one (except I really like being able to style it).

3 Likes

That’s the kind of painted hair I’m talking about lol Now I would love to learn how to get it to look like that. Did you learn on your own or tutorial/ebook? See now I really like that. That hair looks amazing. I’m trying to figure it out but it’s not looking that good. I wish I could find something to help me learn that technique.

1 Like

Could you teach me how to paint hair or give me some tips. I really really love the way u paint hair :slight_smile:

I have only painted hair. I root lashes. Mine is not as good as some I’ve seen but here are some examples of my painting. Edit: I think we see more bald babies now for several reasons. First of all, painting or rooting hair is time consuming and difficult. A new reborner may avoid it for fear of messing it up or not knowing how so they leave it bald. Some clients may just prefer bald babies but some may also have seen how easy it is to mess up rooting or painting and prefer to pay less $$ and get a bald one.

4 Likes

I only left my ember bald because well, he looking stinking adorable!!

4 Likes

He’s really cute. I like Ember either way. Nicely shaped head.

1 Like

I rooted Ofelia. This is my second Ofelia and second time rooting !

3 Likes

I often do painted/rooted combo. Gives the feel of hair, with perks of painted hair. First two are combo, third just painted.

11 Likes

@adutt Beautifully done. :ok_hand:

1 Like

That is amazing! I want to learn combi hair! How did you learn?

1 Like

Could you just give us a couple tips on combination hair? I am about to do a head that way and am not sure how much painting to do and how much to root. Do you root over the paint??? Yours are amazing.

1 Like

My theory is there are a lot more children wanting reborns now & the painted hair & bald babies are the best option for young mommies.

1 Like

I didn’t use tutorials. Just taught myself. Best advise is, when your ready to root, use a fine needle without a lot of barbs. Root according to the crown you painted. Then go forward to hairline getting smaller as you go (think rounded triangular, but without sharp edges if that makes sense. Kind of a teardrop shape starting at crown) . I did do a baby(coco-blick) where the customer wanted rooted and painted on entire head. I just rooted in areas where the paint was thicker,going with the flow of hair . I rooted where the painted hairs met.
Remember to seal the paint before you root. Sorry if this does not make sense, I hope it helps. Not so good at explaining it.

5 Likes

Also, when your done painting, try to match up hair color with color of last painted layer not under layers. It will look really goofy if hair it lighter than top layer of painted hair.

5 Likes

Thanks for sharing :blush::blush:

1 Like

My baldy went to her new mommy an 2 other of my boo boo babies. Here are a few pics from the little girls an a few I took. All babies I was practing on so atleast I made a few bucks an the girls loved them. They was 10-11- an 13 yrs old an the smiles on there faces made my day. Wish I had my phone with me an took a few pictures of them with the babies lol

3 Likes

Now I’m done with those boo boo babies I can do my babies I wanna do now. Those kits have been sitting in a bag for awhile now. I was gonna strip mila an meg but didn’t have too. So it worked out its nice to get rid of babies that you have messed up on lol

2 Likes