Introducing Drew Ann Awake & Asleep, 2 New Prototypes!

I’m a no for them

1 Like

I kinda like the faces actually. They’re unique!
The arms look too dolly for me. Like older reborn kits. They could look realistic with the right painting, but I’m not that good, haha.
The legs are pretty cool, but it’s a shame the baby will never be able to wear any kind of pants.

Is this a Downs baby?

A downs baby??

I don’t think so.

I believe she meant a baby with Down’s syndrome. I don’t believe it was meant to be, but I guess dolls are always open to interpretation!

1 Like

I see… yeah i don’t see it either at all. I’m not really sure what it was meant to be. The arms too i imagine are bent like that as well. I noticed she’s been putting out multiple kits and they al kind of lookthe same, or have strange limbs.

1 Like

These are old porcelain molds that are being poured in vinyl…

4 Likes

Sadly to me the sleeping baby looks like she has had a stroke…What are the folks that make kit decisions Thinking, “how can we loose the most money!”

5 Likes

Pia, you are right about the porcelain molds. I have seen a lot of Hands that have been claimed to be “sculpted” by someone that have been around for more years than I can count. The reason I know is: I have the molds! I used to do porcelain a hundred years ago and I have seen “limbs” that have come out in vinyl that are NOT new or sculpted by the people who claim they are. I recently broke up so much Porcelain Greenware because I knew I would never do it again. So, into the trash it went, what a waste of money!!

4 Likes

Could you use porcelain molds to pour silicone?

That makes sense! That’s gotta be why these don’t have as much detail as newer kits and have wonky faces.
Real shame, I don’t know why they did this, I doubt it’ll sell.

Edit: I just looked around a bit for this porcelain version. It came out in 1995. They discontinued so many beloved kits that actually looked good and instead give us a 27 year old sculpt? I really don’t understand.

8 Likes

Wonder if pouring vinyl into old molds is a money saver for them? It will backfire if the kits don’t sell. There’s a lot cuter kits I’d rather see in vinyl than these.

6 Likes

It’s cheaper than getting someone to sculpt something new, sure. But also cheaper than just keeping the sculpts they already had? I doubt it.

3 Likes

Its a definitely no for me

2 Likes

They should have had a contest for new prototypes of the older kits or had votes cause a lot of thier prototype pictures are outdated and it’s hard to see investing when you can’t see the actual kit cause there are only five pics and no good face shots or images of the hands and feet etc

So sad

8 Likes

I don’t know, but if you could I could sure have a lot of silicone dolls!! hahahaha. If you could do it there would be a seam as porcelain molds are 2 part molds. So you would definitely have to remove seam lines. Maybe that’s how “Darren” was initially made?

1 Like

It is how Darren was made, but the seam lines were down the middle and back of the limbs instead of the sides.

Big Thumbs down for me. I cannot get past the limbs.

1 Like

I find it interesting they say curly limbs. I say bent.