I'm So Nervous But So Excited At The Same Time!

I ordered the last of the supplies that I need to start making my very first reborn baby!!! I just placed the order with BB. The only things that I didn’t get is the rooting tool, needles, mohair and glass beads for weighting. I need advice on what I need to get as far as glass beads…Any advice would be so appreciated. Do I buy them through BB or is there a seller elsewhere that you use. I didn’t buy the needles because as a newbie I wanted to ask which g needle to get that won’t make big holes in the vinyl. For the mohair I plan on using either Slumberland or Delta Dawn. My first baby will be the Lainey sculpt. I just hope that I can do her justice. I’ve been collecting reborns since around 2004 and I can’t believe that now I’m going to attempt to make my own!!! If any of you have the first baby that you ever made can you post a picture of her/him? A part of me can’t wait to start and another part of me is freaking out about starting. I know its silly but geeezzzz I just don’t want Lainey to come out looking like a monster baby!!! :scream: I’ve already made up my mind that even if she comes out really bad…she’ll always be very special to me and I’ll keep her and love her anyway! :heart:

6 Likes

I’m sure you’ll do fine! Just try your best, Think of the first baby as a learning experience and know that he/she won’t be perfect but you will still love him/her!
This is my first baby

3 Likes

She adorable!!! Wow you did awesome!! Her coloring is perfect!!! Thank you for the support and for posting a picture of you first baby!!

Thank you :slight_smile: I know you’ll do great!

1 Like

How exciting, JackieJo! You may like to look over this thread:

http://bountifulbaby.discoursehosting.net/t/your-very-first-reborn-baby/19374/173

3 Likes

I still don’t know where people get their glass beads other than online. It would be so much cheaper if there was a way to buy them locally.

1 Like

Hi Jackie, I use a 43g 1 barb needle, you can’t even see the holes. You don’t need a holder for your needle just wrap a rubber band around the needle where you would hold it. Look for a blasting company in your vicinity to buy glass beads, don’t get the ones that are so fine they are like powder, those are NO good. You can also buy them off of Ebay. Just jump in and get going you are going to do great. !!!

2 Likes

I would buy the beads from BB for the first few babies because then you will get the right ones for sure. When you are more familiar you can look for another, cheaper source. I buy mine from a local sandblasting place where I can choose the grit.

Buy good mohair right from the start: Sugergliders; Delta Dawn; CJ’s; Slumberland; Angora Mohtique…

Needles are trickier. Can anybody suggest a good beginners rooting needle? I started with some gosh-awful 38’s that I would never recommend but the ones I use now are the forked needles and there is such a learning curve they are probably not a good beginner needle. What’s the easiest to start with ladies?

1 Like

I started with a 43g 1barb and even though they say they are for advanced use only I never had any trouble with them. Just keep the barb on the underside so it catches hair and you should have no trouble even if you are a new rooter.

1 Like

Thanks Amy! I really enjoyed seeing pix of so many “first reborns”. I am amazed at how beautiful the dolls came out for being the first!

1 Like

Thanks Lynn!!! I guess I’m going to start with a 43g barb needle! I bought a NuWave oven for baking the babies. I have no idea how to use it. I saw somewhere it was mentioned to put the parts on a towel to bake them. Can you tell me why and won’t the towel get hot and burn? Just curious…

Thanks for the help!! Do you buy your mohair on BB? :haircut:

No. BB doesn’t really carry good mohair. I buy from CJ’s
http://cjspremium.weebly.com/store/c10/Mohair.html

or Delta Dawn but I get an email and don’t have the address right now. Anybody else have Dawn address? @AmyR777 Do you have Dawns address? You always have the answers!

1 Like

It doesn’t get hot enough to burn or even scorch. You bake at 265 degrees for 8 minutes. Be sure you put the extender ring on and make sure no doll parts touch the sides. Also, your towel cannot be textured like terry cloth because it can leave you with textured vinyl. Be sure you test your oven using a thermometer before committing you dolly to it. All this is terrifying at first, but once you’ve done it you see it’s easy.

I’m going to say it one more time, be sure and use the extender ring! Ask me why I say that, LOL.

2 Likes

Over the years that I’ve been buying reborns I’ve noticed that the best mohair is probably Delta Dawn and Slumberland JMO. I’m really picky when it comes to the hair on my reborns and the micro rooting. Micro rooting has sure come a long way over the past few years!! Most babies heads look like the hair is actually growing out of their scalps! Love it!!! I only hope I can achieve that look on my babies in time. I know it’s going to take lots of practice

Yes, you can count on those two and Sugargliders too. But CJ’s is new and I just got an order from them that was very nice. I think you would be safe with them too. Angora Motique has very nice hair too. I have bought from them several times.

1 Like

Oh Oh did you try to bake a baby and not use the extender ring? :neutral_face: When I bought my NuWave I thought that it came with an extender ring. When I realized it didn’t I call NuWave and ordered one for it…

Who do you buy your Sugargliders mohair from? Also do you have the link for Angora Motique? Sorry to be such a PIA but I really hope that I can do justice to baby Lainey when I reborn her…I appreciate your patience!!

Jackie, never worry about questions that’s how we learn and have all been there. I usually use Slumberland hair and have always loved it. As Helen said make sure your parts in the oven doen’t touch ANYTHING including each other. I cook on Power level 7 for 8 minutes works like a charm. Keep an eye on the thermometer. You’ll do fine, just jump in. Rooting does take time and lots of it. I have rooted only 5 heads so far and the one I just finished is much better than the others (I think) so I guess it’s true what all the gals tell me-------you get better with each one. Get going!!

1 Like

Thanks Lynn… I appreciate that you let me know the power level and cooking time. How many times do you normally have to bake a sculpt until its finished? I’m just waiting for my newly ordered supplies to arrive. Once their here I’ll start my reborning adventure! I have a spare bedroom now that one of my sons moved out so I’ve decided to use a corner of that room to make the babies. I have to find a work table to put in there for the supplies and NuWave.

1 Like