I'm really angry

Its really hard to find good mohair in Europe without spending a lot of money. I get a lot of hair from this website in Germany https://www.heavenly-illusions.de
Right now they are out of hair but the hair is beautiful and soft and well priced. For some reason I can’t ever check out on the website so I just send a message and she emails me an invoice.

2 Likes

I haven’t heard of that one before. I’ll keep an eye on them, thanks for the tip!

1 Like

When I first started reborning I tried buying mohair from all over the world, and found that the best is in America. I do not know if that is because their goats are better, or the climate or whatever they feed them. As the postage is usually very little comparing to the cost of good mohair, it really makes not much difference, and I usually buy several ounces at the same time. I am almost 100% sure that anybody, who sells good quality mohair in Europe buys it from America. I just checked Jana’s website and she does not have any mohair listed, but I remember looking at it before, as I buy her eyes and having them sent with mohair would make it economical and give the eyes extra padding. Although they come in plastic tubes/pill bottles. But it was lot more expensive. Anyway I am pretty sure her mohair comes from somebody in the states.

I am in Australia, and I have at first tried to get mohair locally, but I did not find any that I liked. Except the one lot that I bought raw few years ago, and processed myself. It was absolutely the best on the level with the top American. But when I tried to get some more she told me her next 2 years of clips are already booked out!

I do not really root much lately, but if I wanted to buy more mohair I would still go for Angora Mohtique or Singing Falls on eBay. Their mohair is also not perfectly brushed out and laid out, but some of the best I ever had came from them, but you need to bid, and often their very generous once goes for close to $100, but now and then you can get a bargain. Then of-course, the is Sugargliderous who sells from this forum.

2 Likes

I bought some from Russia on Etsy not long ago and it is probably the best Ive gotten so far but she doesn’t dye much of it, and what she does are not natural colours. I have looked at the acid dye on Amazon and I may try that but Ill need my husband to do it because its too big of a job for me considering my disabilities. I may just root it as is but maybe we should try dying it because if we can manage I would buy more, its far more economical.

Since I buy so many kits from the US I really try to buy everything else somewhere that France is not going to tax me for.

That seems very cheap! She’s got some good colors for alternatives, too.

1 Like

Susan Nigel is in Australia I think and hers is awesome. I am not sure how expensive it is but I got to use it in Jacky’s rooting class last year.

That looks very nice mohair.
Best place to get the acid dyes is from Dharma Dyes-Acid

The dyes are very strong, get the small jars. I use large pot 10 -12litres (?), and to get light brown color, I literally just dip a matchstick in the powder and rinse it in the water in the large pot about 3/4 full. Or even dissolve minute amount in a glass of hot water, and then put teaspoon or 2 in the large pot as needed. It is always easy to make the mohair darker, cannot take the dye out. I have dyed dome lots 4 or 5x when I was not happy with the shade, and the mohair did not seem to suffer from the treatment at all.

The actual dying process is not difficult; what is difficult and time consuming is the brushing out and getting the mohair into very tight bundles ready for being dyed.

1 Like

I got some unwashed alpaca and that took me forever to wash and comb out. Ive seen several people say that her hair is easy to comb/brush out, I know its very silky. What I got from her is already washed but I may as well get the unprocessed hair if Im going to dye it.
Thanks for the info on the dye, good to know that they will be economical as well. I think Ill go ahead and try it out…my husband will be thrilled LOL

Whats the best colour to get for brown btw?

I do believe CORA carries Susan Nagel Mohair - Premium Fine - 0.25oz - Golden Blond. $24.00 Au

I have used it.
It’s wavy for sure but so silky soft.

2 Likes

Yes, i have used Susan Nagel mohair, it was good, but it was past yearling, it was quite long and not as fine as the mohair I usually work with. And at $24 for 1/4 of ounce that is not cheap by any measure. I did not know she is in Australia, but her mohair is sold on City of Reborn Angels site, so it does make sense.

I did not know she was in Australia either. I ordered directly from her and it was shipped from the United States. What I bought was fine adult which I used for an older baby.

Now that you mention it, I am pretty sure I bought some Susan Nagel soon after I started reborning and it came from the USA too, so you might be right.
Lilian Trigg sells it; she is in UK
http://www.lilliantrigg.com/mohair.html

I didn’t know that website! I may order some mohair from there, it looks really nice!