I'm really angry

Sorry for the rant, but I just have to vent.

So, I was going to make a reborn for a nursing home. They picked the kit and wanted rooted hair, paid for my supplies already and everything.
To keep the costs as low as possible I ordered from a reborn store in my country, Atelier Wiesje.
I ordered blonde mohair. I’ve ordered black mohair from them before and it’s not great, but good enough. What I recieved now is not at all what I expected. It looks like unprocessed mohair! It’s just tangled hair with some kind of grass and dirt in it still. There’s no ribbon or string to tie it together or anything. Just one big mess. It doesn’t look dyed either.
Then the kit had a white spot on the top. I closely examined it and it looks like an air bubble that was punctured.
To make matters worse, I can’t call them as they’re out with the flu until at least the 20th. For now I just sent an angry email and if I don’t get a response I will call them then.

Here’s the mohair.

And this is the head of the kit.

1 Like

Definitely looks unprocessed :frowning:

1 Like

I agree. It’s raw mohair. Do you use Genesis or air dry? You may be able to paint over the white spot but if it’s a true bubble it may expand again when you bake it. Air dry wouldn’t be a problem. That way you can be working on the paint layers until you can exchange the mohair. You could also carefully cut out the bubble and fill the hole with 3-D medium. I’ve done many small adjustments/repairs this way.

1 Like

Okay, less angry now. They emailed me back (very fast!) saying that I can send the mohair back and get a refund. They said it’s partially combed and processed. I’m not sure what that means, but I guess it doesn’t matter much. They’ll also send me a new head next week and I get to keep this one as a test head.
I do use air dry, but I’m kind of afraid of paint catching in that area. I’ll see what I can do with it though, as it’s now a test head.

4 Likes

Glad they fixed it for you.

1 Like

Maybe you can make a cuddle baby with the head you have.

1 Like

That’s what I thought! I still need to get myself a pattern for a body, though. I can sew, even have the connectors… Just no pattern. :joy:

What kit is this? What size body would you need? I might have a pattern.

1 Like

Sarah Jane Zweers. She should be about 20" once completed.

Glad you got sorted because i ordered from them one time and after 3 weeks still no delivery. I sent them many emails repeatedly no answer finally i left negative feedback on facebook and within 1 hour i got email . I finally received a refund . Never again… thats why i love Bountiful customer service best i have had for shopping

1 Like

Yeah, they’re not that fast with shipping. They usually only ship on Wednesday to Friday and it can take five of those days to ship.
This one I ordered last Saturday and it arrived today. Once I ordered from BB and them at the same time. BB was a day earlier, even though the Dutch one was maybe an hour by car and BBs had to go across the ocean and through customs. :joy:

I had some cheap mohair that came looking like that. All you do is hold it by the cut end, and brush each strand out when you are about to use it. The color looks good.

What is the price for? Is an ounce or half? Whatever, it is incredibly cheap at about $15. The cheapest I pay is about $80/oz.

1 Like

Ugh that’s frustrating! You are correct that hair is seriously messy. And they should not be selling kits like that! I think you should be able to cover the spot— but I’m with you 100% it should not be like that! That’s not good business practice.
Sorry you’re dealing with this and that’s so kind of you to do for the people in the nursing home

1 Like

It was really cheap, but the cut ends were everywhere. It wasn’t one bunch of hair like you usually get when you buy mohair. It was all over the place.

Yeah, it could perhaps be fixed and can be covered with mohair. But I paid €60, about $75 for this kit. If it were a seconds kit or very cheap I wouldn’t have minded it that much.
I’m glad they resolved it, though.

Yes, this sort of not brushed out mohair comes like this. You just have to pull out individual tails, hold it by the cut end, which is clearly visible, and comb it out. Of-course the seller should take pictures of the particular lot they are selling. But there is nothing wrong with the mohair sold at this price. If you want it all brushed and laid out the way the more expensive mohair is done, you cannot expect it at this price.

1 Like

Well, the thing is, I’ve ordered from them before. Same mohair, just a different color. The quality was what I paid for, sure, but it was one bundle with a string around it, no dirt or grass in it at all. That’s why I assumed this one would be the same, just in a blonde color.

1 Like

I’d be embarrassed to take money for that if I called it processed, ugh.

2 Likes

The problem is she does not say anything, except how long it is, she only has pics of colors, which obviously do not represent what she is selling. She does not say how much you get at that price. She does not say if it is dyed or processed in any way. If it is not brushed out it will have some sticks and seeds, that is because it comes from a goat that lives outside. These thing will come out when the mohair is brushed.
If the price is for an ounce that is a very good value, if it is for 1/2 oz. it is still pretty OK, if it is for 1/4oz, then it is not OK.
http://www.atelier-wiesje.nl/index.php?item=&action=page&group_id=10000077&lang=EN

1 Like

It’s 10 grams, about 0.3oz.
In the future I’ll only buy mohair with a clear picture. It just seems odd to me that a reborning website would sell unprocessed mohair without mentioning what it is. And I don’t understand why another color of the same product would be processed but this one wasn’t. It feels like a mix-up to me.