I'm not good at reborning should I just give up? I feel like giving up

I’m not good at reborning. I have tryed multiple times but just end up ruining the kit because I dont like the results. They never look like i have actually painted them or they look to red or too blotchy or just plain messed up.i then end up taking the paint off and ruining the kit even more. I paint with air dry paints but I’m scared to get genesis because of the money I will waste if I’m not good at painting with genesis either. I honestly dont know what to do I want to completely give up but I dont because I still have a little bit of hope left what little there is of it. I think another problem I have with painting is that I find it hard to follow tutorials as I’m more of a hands on type or person I find it hard because everyone has their unique sort of style and I dont want to copy and I find it hard to copy and translate what they are doing to apply it to my own style if that makes sence. I also have a horrible habit of deliberately ruining my work once it’s done. I’ve done this ever since I was little I dont know why. I think its because I dont feel good enough.i may try sculpting instead but dust just gets in the clay and It doesnt look clean. That is what I’m worried about. Can anyone give me some advice.

1 Like

I would suggest Sue-Ellen’s Patreon videos if you can afford it. She uses Ultimate Fusion, but her directions can be followed with pretty much any paint. She has beginner videos and so much more.

4 Likes

As a user of air dry paints, I can tell you that they are very unforgiving. You really need the experience to know what you are doing because you have to work quickly and catch mistakes super fast otherwise you have to work around them (a talent in itself, trust me) or strip the kit. The choice is between genesis and a whole lot of patience. :grin:

Following tutorials will help…Many of us here who have been painting for years have a style to a point where others know who painted what just by appearance. That will happen for you too in time… and last but not least, many of us nitpick, sometimes to the point of ruining dolls. I do it and @RebornsbyZebra is worse than me. :rofl:

6 Likes

I have been doing this for 8 years and feel like this on every single doll still. :joy:

8 Likes

Yes, I am…Im my own worst critic :wink:
Its just not something that comes naturally for most of us, you just have to stick with it and you will find your mojo and your own style…I am constantly learning and changing all the time.

4 Likes

Genesis is much easier. With your first few babies you are not going to find your own style or even be able to copy someone else’s style. You need to master the basics first. If you are hands on you might want to look into taking an in person class. If reborning is something you really want to do I think you can learn it, but it does cost money, time, and lots of patience. I ruined many kits when I first started. I like to think of each mistake I make as another lesson learned on what not to do. I’ve learned a lot! :laughing:

4 Likes

It’s okay to do thin layers of primary colors until you learn to mix your own colors.If you just want to make a baby for yourself,do very thin washes of yellow,blue,red until you get the skintone you want.You can do mottling layers in the same way with a plucked sponge.

1 Like

My airdry paints come already mixed but I think this is half the problem. I would rather mix the paints myself to get better colours because not all babies are the same. I may buy genesis instead once I get better at it

1 Like

Sometimes its the paint you use as well. If its not high quality paints, like Golden, Liquitex, Ultimate Fusion, RebornFX or something like those then they are more difficult to work with. I really like the Ultimate Fusion paints, they are great for painting hair. I just ordered all the browns because I have the blonde hair painting book, paints, and everything else it came with…for all the good that does me LOL. I have been practicing painting hair for over a year now and I just now feel comfortable selling a baby with painted hair.
I can’t use Genesis because I already have too many health problems, baking vinyl can be very toxic so its a good idea to bake outdoors. Im in a wheelchair so going out to bake all the time would be a bit too much for me but I sometimes wish I could use them as they seem to be so much easier to remove and just to use in general and the hair painting is amazing. Then again Ive seen people be just as amazing with air dry paints.

3 Likes

Buy a couple of test parts and work on those until you get the hang of it and have some confidence. What did you use to strip? Stripping shouldn’t ruin the kit. Try again and post WIP pictures so we can help you as you go.

3 Likes

I used acetone and it made the kit shiny that sounds like a brilliant idea I might try that

Dont use acetone.
Get Windsor and Newton brush cleaner
What brand are air dry are you using?

1 Like

Scn special care nursery air dry paints not many people know about them

The artist who made those has videos on YouTube, she’s pretty good and they are quality paints.
The W&N will help when you need to strip, it won’t ruin the kit nor turn it shiney/orange.
Also use the spy glass to see lots of information. Reborning all comes down to practice really. Painting a few babies won’t make you paint like a prototype artist, and that’s ok.
Don’t be afraid to mess up or “ruin a kit” just have fun with it, keep your layers thin and just paint paint paint! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I like Windsor And Newton the best for stripping. If you haven’t thrown your baby in the trash, wash it really well with hot water and Dawn dish soap. When it’s thoroughly dry, seal it with a matte sealer before you start painting again. If this is something you really want to do, don’t give up yet. Buy big test parts-3 month Joseph, 7 month June or Juan legs. They’re all huge and give you lots of room to try things out. You can strip and re-use them also.

2 Likes

Lara’s books are very good, and a real bargain at the price. I would recommend them.

1 Like

I hope this gives you hope not to quit reborning. I reborn for myself. I use air dry paints. I hate for everyone to see this but my first doll and my latest doll.

6 Likes

And look how far you’ve come. Few reborn artists are masters from the get go.

3 Likes

I learn something new with each doll I create. I owe it all to everyone of you great artists. I still have a lot to learn

2 Likes

I would try the Genessis out. I started with air dry and found them very difficult to use.

I have found Genessis more forgiving and so much easier to use. I still make mistakes but reborning is so much fun.

Don’t give up! You will get there in the end xx

2 Likes