Im Considering!

I’m considering giving up Reborning! It has completely taken over my life. Some nights I don’t even go to bed till 2 or 3 in the morning. One of my problems are I have a bunch of stuff. 50 kits, 3 on pre-order. A ton of clothes and so one…I love doing what I do and my Nursery is doing well. I just don’t know how to balance my time… No kidding! Has anyone else ever felt this way and if so what advice do you have for me?
Thanks in advance!

5 Likes

My advice would be: If you love it, DON’T give it up!! However maybe you need to set some boundaries for yourself. Make yourself a workable schedule allowing for Reborning time and time for all the other things that life entails, and STICK TO IT!! You may not be able to complete your babies as quickly but a little slow down won’t hurt. If your Nursery is doing well then that’s a great big Plus. Just cut back a little and let customers know that you are slowing down and will be taking more time to complete the babies. They will understand. Make sure you are taking time for yourself and other chores. I think this will make you feel more balanced and get some order and structure back into your life. We all love reborning but too much of ANYTHING is not necessarily a good thing. Good Luck, you can do this and still love your craft!!

10 Likes

I will just add that in my situation, I am in poor health. This seems to be a perfect hobby for me. (I don’t intend to sell them – just make them for me.) When I have a good day or two, I can work on my babies, and then I may not get back to them for several days. But the beauty of this hobby is that it is still there waiting. No rush, rush to get it done. That is just my take on it. I don’t spend a LOT of time on them at any one time.

7 Likes

Many years ago, I designed custom boutique children’s clothing. After years of sewing and selling for the cost of supplies, my business took off and I found myself sewing from early morning to midnight or 1 am every day. I made something that I loved into something that I hated and when I finally quit I never went back to sewing.

I won’t let that happen with reborns. If I’m tired or bored, I put it away. I took almost a year long break last year and came back to it when I was inspired again. I don’t do customs for this reason. I make babies as I’m inspired and when one is done, I list it.

Finding moderation has really helped me enjoy my craft on my own terms. :slight_smile:

16 Likes

It’s a shame you gave up sewing making beautiful things. Time does get away from us though. As long as I’m working I can’t let it take over my time but when I retire I want worry about what time it is.

4 Likes

My kids are 19 (son), 15 (daughter), and 12 (son). I foresee some grandkids in the next 10 years or so and I plan to make them some adorable outfits. My daughter, who used to have big matching pigtail bows for every outfit has already asked if I’ll make her future daughters dresses and matching bows one day. So I guess for now I’m just taking a really long break from sewing. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Thank you for your advice, and you are so right. I need to figure out where to start. My head hurts just thinking about it.

1 Like

I’m sorry to hear about your health. I will definitely lift you up in prayer. Thank you for your advice. Hope you feel better soon.

1 Like

Makes since as to why I feel burnt out. Or maybe I feel guilty because I think I’ve been neglecting my family. slowing down and prioritizing is a must. Thank you for sharing that with me. Sorry you stopped sewing. But your future grandbabies will get you back in the notion!

2 Likes

Yes!! I love it probably more than anything, but I get so overwhelmed with everything. I know how you feel. I’ve jusbeen been setting reborning aside a bit and only working a little at a time for fun. Maybe take a break. :heartpulse:

3 Likes

Great advice everyone! I am taking a break while we are transitioning to a house, lol. I really miss painting and can’t wait to get back to it. It is just a hobby and I’ve only given them to my family some for the cost of materials. If I had to make deadlines I think that would take the fun out of it. But I am enjoying the break.

2 Likes

Just remember Skylar, every journey starts with just one step!! You’ll be fine!! Update us when you get things all figured out, good luck!!

Thanks everyone for the advice. @ lynn I will keep everyone posted. I just need to figure everything out. Thank goodness we only have 2 more days of school.

1 Like

I know how you feel! I did give up reborning for 2 years, and it was my best decision I made in 10 years of making dolls. Now initially I lost my joy, got ahead of myself with kits and I spent all day and night, 7 days a week painting or rooting. It was like I’d forgotten how to give myself permission to rest or walk away from dolls…no matter what I did dolls were on my brain or distracting my focus.
However I did return,and when I did I was completely refocused from burn out, my painting even improved, and I no longer felt I need to do it 7 days a week., I’d learnt I could walk away just fine and my art life wouldn’t fall apart. I dont get involved in online doll issues or politics and guild groups, which keeps me happier… Now I dont buy tons of kits, or clothes, I dress as I go, and I miss out on kits, there is always more. As a rule I do not pre-order…, I buy only what I can pay in full and get done in the calandar year. I also do not allow myself to let dolls take over my life, I paint 4 to 6 days a week, but now I can have a doll free week, 8r day…its my living, but I wont let it be my life again. Boundaries helped me to refind my joy, and not loose out on more important things. So walk away as long as you need, downsize doll stuff and return when you find you miss them. Dont let your hobby overwhelm you. You will come back refreshed, and loving the industry again, and not become a slave to it. And if you cant take complete break, then slow down as much as you can. Give yourself days to walk away.

5 Likes

I agree with the other ladies. Downsizing is probably a good idea. When it starts taking over your life and it’s not enjoyable anymore, it’s time to slow down. Pick and choose when you want to paint. :blush:

1 Like

Thanks for sharing this with me… This so hits home and I realize I must take care of me.

1 Like

Thank you!

Yes @Skylar you must put yourself and kids/family first, and the rest will fall into place when and however you are ready. Of couse we can all still keep intouch with our beloved dolly friends and I think thats the main fear people have when we think about or mention we are going to leave dolls, is they wont connect with us, but they still can.I think so many of us will struggle with these feelings, its nice to have the support of each other.

5 Likes

Wow, all I can say is bless your heart, and good luck!

Hi ladies, just an update. I’m still undecided what I want to do about reborning. I have slowed down quite a bit thou. i Keep getting calls about reborns but i just tell them i’m on break. I don’t know what it is but it just doesn’t excite me like it use too. It’s like ok, I challenged my self and I accomplished what I set out to do and now i’m ready to move on to the next adventure. I know this sounds crazy but it is how I feel. Then I think to myself, I have all these kits I need to do something with. Whoa is me, I will figure this out!

3 Likes