If you use artist grade acrylics on your dolls

I have not used the Liquitex brand but I am told the Liquitex fluid matte medium can be rather tacky so their Glazing medium may as well. I use Jo Sonjas Glazing Medium when I need Glazing medium and Golden Fluid Matte Medium when I need that. Either one can be used as a primer.

1 Like

Welcome @Vee I use Liquitex Pro Paints but have never used that!

1 Like

may I ask what you use as a primer?

And, I do not prime my kits. I think @anjsmiles does. I use the primary method and always start with red.

1 Like

Are you using the glazing medium as a sealer before you start painting? Iā€™ve used Liquitex Professional acrylics mixed with just a little Liquitex Ultra Matte Gel in the paints for years with no problems. Iā€™ve never used the glazing medium. Maybe it doesnā€™t work well on vinyl?

1 Like

Thank you so much! Would it be your opinion that I strip off the ā€œprimerā€ and start again? Or will the tackiness resolve with multiple layers? TIA
Vee

yesā€¦ I read that it was comparable to FAā€™s Glass & Tile and as everywhere I have looked that is on backorder, I bought this instead.

I would strip it and start over. The tackiness may not resolve and it would be better to have to strip it now than when itā€™s done. I donā€™t usually prime my kits unless theyā€™re shiny. DecoArt DuraClear Ultra Matte Varnish works well as a primer and a sealer. Better than FA Glass & Tile IMO.

1 Like

Thank you so much! I did go ahead and use Liquitex Matte Varnish all over and it is already dry to the touch with no tackiness! Iā€™m gonna go ahead and move forward with this and Iā€™ll keep you posted on how she turns outā€¦ I meanā€¦ At least Iā€™ll learn a lot! Lolā€¦

I use artist grade acrylics paints along with liquitex Matt medium, Iā€™m new to reborning so I can not tell you about longevity, I have noticed that they get darker as they cure so I now leave the kit a couple days between the washes to mottling and mottling to detail, after 3 days they donā€™t seem to get any darker so I think by then they are cured, I love the colour choice you get with artist acrylics as opposed to paints made specifically for reborning.

4 Likes

I found these two articles interesting before I started using them

3 Likes

RebornFX Primer from MacPhersons is what I use.

2 Likes

Beautiful baby! I am now having a problem with bottling layers beading up while applyingā€¦ Its creating a speckled egg look instead of a bottling patternā€¦ Iā€™m not sure what Iā€™m doing wrong :roll_eyes::flushed:

1 Like

Gosh I donā€™t know, I only get beading with the first couple of washes then it goes on fine, too much on your sponge maybe, I always paint it on my sponge then blot it off on some paper towel first

1 Like

Lolā€¦ Wellā€¦ Iā€™m getting really good at stripping paint off vinyl :grimacing:ā€¦ Iā€™m gonna keep trying different combos till I get the right oneā€¦

1 Like

When I got that speckled egg appearance the paint was too old and separated into teeny, tiny pieces.

These are brand new, just bought for the babyā€¦ :smirk:

Too much water can cause that effect. You can press your sponge on a paper before applying it, or try to use more medium and less water.

2 Likes

Sounds like too much water in your paint.

1 Like

I am thinking that tooā€¦ I need figure out the proper amount of medium to thin it out :blush: