If you use artist grade acrylics on your dolls

I am surprised and glad it works for her, but still would never use craft paints on my reborns. I have used craft paints on other projects and surfaces in the past and believe me they fade.
I don’t think you are overthinking things, but trying to come up with a high performance and quality solution that will work for you. There is nothing wrong with that.

1 Like

Agreed, @rainbow. My very first reborn, done as an experiment to see if I’d like it, was done with mostly cheap paint. It almost looks like a blank kit put on a body now. Lol But I didn’t seal it, I don’t think anyway. Wonder if that’s what makes the difference. Hmmm…

1 Like

I have heard other artists have used Folk Art paints. I know people say they are craft paints but after doing some research their website says they have a light-fastness of 1 or 2. They are a quality paint that is marketed as a decorative paint because they are used on surfaces other than canvas. Apple Barrel is Plaid’s craft paint.

https://plaidonline.com/how-resistant-to-fading-are-folkart-acrylic-colors/2553/faq.htm

1 Like

From what I have been able to tell from reading a lot, there is lightfastness of pigment which reflects pigment quality and then there is pigment load. IOW, 2 products can have the same lightfastness in the quality of pigments used but one may have a higher pigment load than the other. And I am thinking craft paints have the lowest pigment load. At least that is my impression.

1 Like

I use the UMG and the regular matte medium on all my dolls (that I don’t use oils on). The ultra gel is good as a base layer and mixed in with initial consecutive layers of paint, but the closer I get to the top layers, I switch to the regular matte medium because it doesn’t cause the gritty, sandpaper feel the UMG causes as you finish up.

After 3 or 4 days, I find that even if I scrape hard, it barely leaves a mark in the paint, if anything shows up at all.

That said, I do more newborning with clay for my OOAK sculpts, and my base layer there is FA glass and tile THEN I switch to AG acrylics and Liquitex mattes.

It’s definitely what works best for each individual. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My first Liquitex Paint baby! Second with flesh tones, Third coming soon!

6 Likes

She looks great! So cute!

1 Like

I tried to read this thread but it’s looong. First of all that color is fantastic! Secondly my friend wants me to paint her an avatar baby and I had no idea what paint to use. Looks like liquitex works!!! Such brilliant color

2 Likes

Beautiful baby :slight_smile:

1 Like

@jeepers It was so much fun, I mixed different colors together to get that color. I am almost done with Naruto, lt. flesh colored with Liquitex looks just as nice.

1 Like

Love this!

do you remember what colors of the Golden liquid acrylics you used to achieve a baby skin tone colour? I want to try acrylics but I would like to mix my own. Your baby looks really good.

I used the primary method. @gail I put chart on other topic

http://discourse.bountifulbaby.com/t/switching-to-air-dry-paints/54651

1 Like

got it, thank you Anne. I’m so happy you are sharing on this forum. I need all the help I can get.

1 Like

Scroll up for Naturo second liquitex baby. Last one will be added in a few days.

I have a Facebook page where I showcase my work. I sell my dolls on Ebay. Here are a couple of links. Bonnie’s auction starts tonight on Ebay.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/163243219729?ssPageName=STRK:MESCX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1554.l2649

Thank you for your interest in my work.
dolly hugs,
Gail

May I know the name of the kit you used for this baby? You did a wonderful job!

Thank you! The one that’s in progress above is Realborn Clyde Asleep :blush: He was my second reborn, and still one of my favorite kits! I traded him to my goat farmer friend for mohair fleece :joy:

1 Like

Thanks for your quick reply! I will have to try my hand at Clyde Asleep- your version tugs at my heartstrings. I love to see others’ work!

1 Like

Hi there! I am totally new to reborning, in fact I have only just added my first primer layer of liquitex glazing medium to my very first doll! As of tonight(6 hours later) it is still tacky… is that normal??