If you use artist grade acrylics on your dolls

This is good:

3 Likes

Found the open flow medium in matte on amazon. Ordered it and will start playing around soon. :slight_smile:

Next on the agenda is powders (unless this needs its own thread). I still use some babyfx powders because I haven’t quite worked out which panpastel colors work best.

1 Like

I am still working my way through how to best use the Panpastels. When it comes to powders, I found I over bought. Truthfully the only thing I like to use them for is blue & purple undertones, creases and yellow on the nose area. I also found that they are so very strong that mixing a little white panpastel in with the blending powder and color helps to tone the color down more to where it is more usable. You just have to use it sparingly. If you look at the Coastal Scents colors recommended by others you can tell some of them have white in their mix as well.

5 Likes

@anjsmiles Thanks for letting me know that, I was wondering about the Pan Pastels.

I just ordered the burnt sienna and the red oxide in the pan pastels earlier today. Darn, I wish I would have read your post earlier Anj. Oh well, it will be fun to experiment. I also ordered some pigment powders. I will need to switch to acrylics I think to try these. I am currently using Genesis.

yes, very useful. Thank you very much for sharing this.

I posted several photos and some info on my blog today.

http://lildumplinsnursery.blogspot.com/2016/11/let-product-testing-begin.html

4 Likes

Glad that you are testing!

I am looking forward to see what you find out.

those are the acrylics I have on hand…can’t wait to see what you come up with

I think these paints are a good choice. I would love to see your results.

This lady has a blog and explains a lot of what you said earlier in this thread. This is one of her videos. She compares these with the soft body paints and how to thin them without out breaking binders.

3 Likes

Please let us know when you get to test the matte open flow medium? I would like to know how it works for you and your thoughts on the product.

1 Like

Thank you Pam for sharing this video! I had not seen this one but she demonstrates everything I have been saying so well! It also appears from her demonstration that the High Flow acrylics might also be good to use for making washes from as well.

2 Likes

I wanted to also remind everyone when looking at different brands of fluid/soft body paints to be sure to check the lighfastness of the brand you are looking at. This has to do with the permanence of your paint to resist fading. The best quality will be a 1 or 2. Not all brands are the same in quality of lightfastness. Here is an example:

At this link you can pick a color of Golden Fluid paint by clicking on the color swatch and it will show you all the specs on that color. Golden Artist Colors, Inc.
If you choose the Naphthol Red Light you will see it has a Lighfastness grade of 2.

If you look at the same color from DecoArt Media you will find it has a Lightfastness grade of 4.
Go to Acrylic Paint for Arts, Crafts, and More
and find Naphthol Red Light on the chart.

1 Like

Your Welcome. Did you notice the title of the video? Worst Mistake Acrylic Painters Make. This is why so many people have trouble with their dolls peeling or fading. Everything clicked when I watched it.

This is her blog http://www.ashleypicanco.com/

It is great for beginners with acrylic paints. I thought you would also like this one for mixing skin tones. Its a long video so watch it when you get a chance, but helped me with mixing paint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JwhTmqPsY4

4 Likes

Wow…such valuable information. Thank you Angie.

I am definitely going to watch this. Thank you!

Thank You ladies for the most valuable information!! This is great, it sure helps with understanding the properties of these paints!!

https://www.scalehobbyist.com/catagories/Paint_and_Construction/VLJ00070125/product.php?gclid=CLXq9YKnytACFUtNfgodeSIEEQ

I was looking and come across this might help

Yes Pam I did! I figured out a long time ago that using too much water would cause problems with the paints down the road when I was using Jo Sonjas and then later the LDC paints as well. I will be sure to watch the other video you posted when I can sit down at my leisure.