If you use artist grade acrylics on your dolls

Well I am going to stick with what I know, Art and Magic Waterborne, guess I’ll become an expert, lol. I am going to be trying Soft Body Paints for my alternatives as soon as it arrives in the mail. Guess I was having misgivings about FX for a reason. I am so sorry for those of you that have just purchased them, but now you know how an Air Dry paint should work. What about Pan Pastels, how would they work?

Those are some beautiful babies!

I have always wanted to try the Real Effects paints but I do not know of anyone who sells them in the US. I had heard that Still Moments will not ship them to the US but I do not know if that is true.

BTW, from what I gather the Liquitex soft Body paints are described as creamy, even leveling, fluid artist grade paints. So they are pretty much the same thing as the Golden Fluid Paints. It is just a matter of which brand you prefer.

2 Likes

@anjsmiles that is nice to know, if I like them on my alternatives I may try them on a realistic one day!

Thank you @anjsmiles.
The Real Effects is really nice and gives a soft matte look, but they have very light pigment and their reds have why to much purple in them. They work beautiful for light skin tones. I have always gotten them from Still Moments and she does ship to the US. It is Germany, where they are made, that will not ship to the US.

1 Like

I did just order the little starter set of Golden Fluids to try along with some more Golden glazing liquid and some Golden Fluid Matte Medium to try. I will keep you all posted after I try playing around with these.

2 Likes

You ordered the regular Golden fluid, not the high flow ones, right? @anjsmiles

That is correct.

1 Like

I have some of the Golden Fluid paints. Their consistency is a little thinner than the Liquitex soft body, but they are still smooth and creamy. Also their pigment is great. I haven’t used them for a skin tone base yet, but have used them for detail work. If I remember correctly Golden was the first ones to produce and put acrylic paints on the market in the US. Liquitex was the second. So they are both well established brands. You are absolutely correct that it is a matter of which brand you prefer.

2 Likes

I have this book I purchased years ago that tells what colors to mix up to get various skin tones. I have pulled it back out to look it over again. It is very good information.

1 Like

Hey, Bill Powell, my sister took painting lessons from Bill. He is a really nice man and a great artist!! He lived a couple of houses from my mom. It’s a small world!!

1 Like

I’ve had this same book for years and I keep it on my painting table. It is a great reference for mixing skin tones.

1 Like

Thank you so much for explaining all that. I was so confused by it all but now it makes complete sense!

1 Like

I use a mixture of clear gesso by Liquitex and water. About 1/8 water. I always use this on my vinyl kits as a base layer. I love this thread. I am always trying new mediums. It’s challenging and disheartening at times but it keeps this hobby interesting. I have been using Genesis since 2008 but I’m thinking about trying the FX air dry.

Baby FX has just been discontinued so we’re all looking for alternatives!!

After rereading your information on mediums and this video…Am I correct in my thinking that the open flow medium have binders in them? If they have binders then I could add them to my artist grade tube paints and use retarder and water to thin. Do you think that would work to help keep from losing the binding propertiesd breaking down the pigments when thinned?

The open flow medium is going to have more working time already so you may not need to add any retarder. Mediums do contain binders but I would read what is in it to make sure. Which one in particular are you looking at?

I was referring to the Open Flow Medium in the vidoe you posted. It was the first product they demoed. I looked it up and they have it available in matte and gloss.

Ok gotcha. My brain wasn’t connecting as I was popping in between cooking.

So the answer is yes. It says here
https://www.goldenpaints.com/technicalinfo_openmeds
that it is formulated with 100% acrylic polymer dispersion, which is your binders.
I have not tried this medium so let me know how it works for you. I didn’t realize until I watched the video again that you can use it with the regular acrylics and not just the open ones. A matte version would definitely be nice as long as it does not slow the curing/drying time down extensively.

oh no…just when I was planning on switching