I need a rice tip

I need a tip on how to deal with rice. I have used rice socks in the past but i have rooted the last hair into my sock I hope. I pulled one out the other night and a huge patch of hair came with it. Sooo i decided maybe I could use corn and heat it and pour into the head. i put some polyfil into the head afterwards and this worked pretty good except I broke several needles because it hit the corn. So I decided to use loose rice and this time the polyfill did not keep it in. so i put some tape over the hole this worked until it was not sealed completely and the rice came out a little at a time and went every where. Any ideas? I love the loose rice if I could figure out how to keep it in the head

How thick is your sock?? I use thickish cotton socks, and never had this issue. I once put paper towel in the head and when i pulled it out it all ripped the hair out and got stuck to the hairs so i learnt there!! LOL

I would pour hot rice in and then put a piece of duct tape over the opening, but I have been rooting the last million heads without anything inside and you do get used to it after a while

What do you do with those soft heads? I am working with Moby’s for those angel tree babies. There is a soft spot on the top of it’s head. So far 1 boy and 1 girl. I am working my way thru the 9 of them and wow I found one more set of limbs but no way do I have the money to order any more heads. If I had another 20 inch I would do it but no funds to buy another. I have Moby’s and Kinsey’s. I must admit I like the Moby once I got the hair on her head lots better than bald. I did piggy tails. I am going to have to try to sell a couple to pay bills but I will still have several to hopefully make several little girls Chrsitmas’s.

I haven’t used a rice sock in forever. On the really soft heads that collapse (like Tristan) I stuff it full of Cluster Stuff and then stuff it solid with old Berenguer polyfill. The hair doesn’t stick in the Cluster Stuff ‘pellets’ but it’s really difficult to get it solid, so that is where the old polyfill comes in.

If you are using loose rice put a neck plug in the head. If you don’t have one of those, try to stuff a wash cloth in the neck opening.

— Begin quote from “babydoll4u”

ok I haven’t attempted to root yet and i had NO Idea I needed to put anything in my baby’s head??? Rice , corn??? How about a little soya sauce lol It sounds so funny…please someone tell me why I need to put something in the head and why food?

Sandra

— End quote

Haha it would sound funny… mmm corn to make pop corn when you head the head up???

Nah you use a rice sock which is exactly what its name is rice in a sock. You heat it in the microwave for around 2mins with a cup of water and stuff it into your head in the are you want to start with, you put poly fil in the rest so it stays firm. Then you wait a few minutes for it to warm up and then when you put your rooting needle in it slides in much easier and you wont be pushing and struggling. Its a million times easier to root hair that way and it the only way i will root these days.

— Begin quote from “Debora Jenkins”

What do you do with those soft heads? I am working with Moby’s for those angel tree babies. There is a soft spot on the top of it’s head. So far 1 boy and 1 girl. I am working my way thru the 9 of them and wow I found one more set of limbs but no way do I have the money to order any more heads. If I had another 20 inch I would do it but no funds to buy another. I have Moby’s and Kinsey’s. I must admit I like the Moby once I got the hair on her head lots better than bald. I did piggy tails. I am going to have to try to sell a couple to pay bills but I will still have several to hopefully make several little girls Chrsitmas’s.

— End quote

I guess if its soft you can always use poly fil if you dont want to heat it up? I just did Vcitoria from D dreams and she was VERY soft, and did it with my rice sock and polyfil.

Yes uncooked rice and uncracked corn kernels. You heat them in the microwave and heat the head up. not only does it make rooting easier but the heat helps the little holes close up.

Lately, I stuff the head well with silicone balls (similar to polyfill), and just heat one section with a heatgun, then root. Works good for me (I don’t have a microwawe

oh the tissue paper is a great idea. I may use that for the next collapsible head I do. I usually don’t use heat unless the head is hard like a Berenguer but some of the new vinyl is sooooo soft the needle collapses the head before it goes into it.

I am rooting the Ryan kit and his head is small so I too have just poured rice into the head. I then put a tube sock in it to stuff the head then draped it around the outside of the neck flange and put a rubber band around it to hold it in place. It worked great. I have always used the rice sock before this but I think I like this better lol.

Well, I rarely use rice because most heads are soft enough but on Kendall I found a harder spot so I decided to use rice…except I didn’t have any regular rice, just the fast cook in a bag kind…so I heated it in the microwave without water (with our humidity if I’d added water in a cup to the microwave it would have cooked!) and since I didn’t want to have a mess, I just left it in the bag…not thinking that I would root the bag to the head. Fortunately, the hair didn’t come out when the bag ripped open when I couldn’t get it out but I have a piece of plastic in her head…fortunately it’s thin plastic so shouldn’t hurt anything.

The neck plug with some tape to hold it might work the best from all the suggestions. I usually just use a hair dryer and blow inside the head for a few minutes and then root for a while, and repeat…and repeat. Easier than getting up to reheat the rice in 20 minutes. As for the soft heads, I usually just deal with it and try to be careful. Fiberfill doesn’t work unless you want to glue what is left in the head! I may have to try using the rice packed in to get it firm.

You know I do not own an hair dryer and I haven’t in many years.