I just noticed this

I was looking at a kit at MacPherson’s and I noticed this statement:

All Guarantees are void if the vinyl is heated as we cannot predict what could become defective. The vinyl can crack or bubble which is not the fault of the manufacturer or the inspection process. If you decide to heat your vinyl you must do so at YOUR OWN RISK.

If you use heat-set paints their guarantees are voided? YIKES

It was some other discussion on that and conclusion was that they are trying to prevent melted kits returns. They know that RA that using Genesis hit the kits.

Sorry, I don’t understand your second sentence.

I think she means Reborn artist heat the kits

They’re are also referring to things like bubbles, dark specks and those dreaded pin holes most of those things doesn’t appear until after baking!

Yes, I don’t buy from them anymore.

They are not the only company who states this. It is becoming so from other dealers as well and well should be. Vinyl was never meant to be heated and it is unfair to expect a dealer to replace a kit that was heated possibly too high or that heat caused defects to rise to the surface. Here is a screen shot from Truborns page on Romilly

Thank you! It exactly what I meant. :wink:
Heating kits is a part of the process for Genesis paints and MP know that.

Its a risk we take. I can honestly understand.
I still use genesis. But I don’t expect a store to refund me if I melt it. Its my risk I choose to take because I like the results more with Genesis rather than air dry.

Yes, melting is one thing, but the pitting, bubbles and such they should honor.

Vinyl wasn’t made to be heated, so problems can occur. That’s not the fault of the sellers. So I completely understand their statement.
I’m sure they’ll refund if something else is wrong with the kit, even if it has been heated, if the problem is not due to the heat.
Heating the vinyl is at your own risk.

It didn’t even occur to me that someone might send in a melted head!

You are wrong in that. It is not the fault of the dealer, manufacturer or sculptor if the kit pitts, bubbles and such from heat setting. Once again - Vinyl was NEVER made to be heat set. When we do so we do it at our own risk.

I’m sorry that I offend you so often. I was a mold maker for several years. I had to back up my product. The de-gassing of these kits isn’t efficient. We shouldn’t have to take the hit for it. No matter the use, as most of us do use heat set. I guess that was created to use with the vinyl? As I said if we melt the entire kit or just fingers and toes, that is on us.

You didn’t offend me now or ever that I can think of so I am not sure why you said that. I am sorry if my disagreements upset you but I just think that it is unrealistic reasoning to say that a dealer should have to stand behind a product that shows damages/defects after being heated. Never ever were vinyl doll kits made with the understanding that they were guaranteed to withstand being heated up to 265 degrees.

Genesis paints were not developed for vinyl doll kits. They were actually developed for painting on canvas as an oil painting method that could be quickly cured. They never quite took off well in that arena though as they wanted them to. At one point many of the arts stores were pulling the Genesis paints off the shelves and selling them for like 25 cents a jar. Hobby Lobby completely discontinued them this way. Somewhere along the way someone got the idea to try them on vinyl dolls and found with great care it could work well. This in essence is what boosted the sale of Genesis paints and brought them success. It is a misnomer that they were developed to be used on vinyl dolls. In reality, everything about reborning that led to the art it is today started out as experimentation with products that were not meant for painting on vinyl dolls.

I was reading up on Genesis. It’s quite an odd thing really. Their website mentions no reborns, but offers barely any pictures of the paint on canvas or anywhere else. Google just shows me reborns.
I wonder, though, if you used it on a canvas, would you bake the canvas or use a heat gun? It just seems so odd to me.

Thank you so much for the information, Angie :kissing_heart:

Doll Dreams and Puppentram always had this on their sites. I use air dry and German vinyl kits, so just thought it was normal ??

They recommended heat guns and ovens when the substrate can be heated in an oven. They also mention a Genesis drying box to put the painting in when using a heat gun. Here is the .pdf

You may also notice that they recommend priming the surface first with acrylic gesso. Yet, no one does this with the vinyl dolls. Could be part of the reason why the paints do not stick well to some vinyls. I personally am a believer that priming any surface with something first is best. Gesso is a little gritty but there are air dry products such as RebornFX Primer and Liquitex liquid matte medium or Golden Fluid Matte Medium that can all be used as a primer first even with Genesis. You just need to let them cure about 24 hours first.

That’s very interesting, thanks!
I use air dry and always prime first.
Funny how the manufacturer recommends priming yet it’s not standard to do so.