I feel like a drug dealer

I am the old mom at my sons school, I don’t think there is anyone there who thinks I am NOT his grandmother (because I am old enough to be). I am not making mommy friends like I use to with my older kids. High School never really goes away, or maybe high school trains us to be the grown ups we are…

I don’t fit into the selfie-taking, yoga pants wearing (I do wear them but not the same way, mine look like they are keeping my booty from the ground while the young moms are sportin’ Kim K booties they got at the gym or from a surgeon). I don’t wait in line on FaceTime, I have real gray hair I cover while they dye theirs gray and there is a difference for sure. I also don’t say things like "Oh my gawd I totally don’t know what I am going to make for dinner, I am totally keto and my kids want pasta and bread (ewww), what-ever I am going to have to stop at Whole Foods and get them some Annies or I won’t make it to spin on time. (I live in California).

Once in a while I find a normie, a regular mom who is just stay-at-home-mom frazzled, hits up the thrift store for board games, is just happy to have a person to talk to who isn’t asking to play with her phone, wipe their bottom, or screaming that someone is breathing their air.

So I met this mom and she is my oldest daughters age, I am her parents age, but we both have ten years olds and we are both artists. She doesn’t call herself one, she calls herself a mom.

She got to see a baby of mine. We talk about the babies often, she follows me on social media (I am not super active but I pop up once in a while). Then out of the blue she hits me up and asks if she could maybe help me out a little to learn to paint babies.

“GURL, I have no one to baby geek with, you may be the first person I met in person who isn’t creeped out, doesn’t think I have traded real art for this silliness, isn’t worried that my doll making is linked to some fetish, or… I don’t know what, when can I drop off a kit?”

I gave her an ugly with mismatched arms to play with. She had some craft paint, a few brushes and with very little instruction (my You Tube videos, and Jens) She went to town and made a baby one night.

Holy Moses.

It was a little orangey and first time, but given what she had to work with, she nailed it for sure. She has the mojo.

I gave her the link to BB, told her what to buy and where and damn if she didn’t paint another airdry baby in a day or two and her painted hair! She figured out painted hair on her first try.

To be honest she does pencil portraits for pleasure (and she is good) but painting hair on a vinyl baby is a learned skill.

I think she is hooked. Sorry folks, there may be a new newbie in town sometime soon.

She is done for, she is going to have to kick her mister out of his Star Wars Lego man cave and start hoarding kits and baby clothes.

Sorry, not sorry.

23 Likes

I can’t wait to meet her!

3 Likes

I just asked permission to share her photos.

This is her first real reborn, she did paint another one with some kids craft paint but this is her first real go with air dry paint ( I think she used apple barrel). This is also her first painted head.

26 Likes

Wow :open_mouth: that’s beautiful, I wish I could’ve learned that fast ! She will do well :heart:

2 Likes

Holy cow!!! I am super impressed and you weren’t right there to offer guidance? That painted hair is great!!!

2 Likes

Amazing! She’s a natural!

1 Like

That’s very impressive! I hope she joins us here soon. I’d love to watch her progress.

1 Like

That is amazing!

1 Like

Holy cow!!! She is amazing…already…I can’t wait to see what she churns out after she “practices” some more!!! :relaxed:

1 Like

Wow that is utterly amazing! It is beautiful and I am utterly shocked she made something that nice with apple barrel paints! Wowsers!

2 Likes

Geez, that baby is GREAT!! Yesum, you can tell she is an ARTIST!!! Tell her to join us so we can enjoy all of her work!

3 Likes

Sorry, she’s not allowed in, I forbid it. She’s way too crazy good! :smiling_face: gorgeous hair. I’m glad you included she’s an artist though. (My self-esteem thanks you) I about lose it when I read the occasional post “this is my first reborn” and it’s pure perfection and I’ve been a professional artist my entire life is not mentioned.i know, Details, details :laughing:

6 Likes

Youre right a little orangey but holy moly batman!!! First time painting a head with painted hair!!! Still WAYYYYY better than i can do…
Id say she is one of the rare naturals!!! Just amazing!!! :kissing_heart::heart:

2 Likes

Shoot im an artist and she still paints better than me!!! If you have fb look up my artist page Portraits By Melanie Curll you will see what i mean…lol my drawings are way better than my reborning

3 Likes

Wow she did amazing looking forward to meeting her here!

Ps I love reading you posts, I almost feel like I was there with you watching all those mum’s at school and you gave me a good laugh on this dreary morning x

2 Likes

A real natural, I am also happy you found someone to talk babies with. I totally understand where you are coming from. My children range from 33 to 7y.o. so i often meet other moms younger than my firstborn.

She is amazing and I love the skin tone, close to my own. The hair is - WOW!

I’ll definitely do that!

Just joined! Thank you all for your kind words and helpful feedback. I finished Alyssa and am really enjoying learning more about the world of reborns. You all do beautiful work and I’m grateful that Gina told me about this community :heart:

11 Likes

Welcome… you have definite skills already!

2 Likes