I don't get this... calling an unpainted doll a "reborn"

So… lately I’m seeing a lot of so called “reborn” Berenguers. Here’s an example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/OH-Baby-Preciou … 4cfe9f3a66
Apart from painted nails I simply don’t see any actual reborning work on this doll. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I have a doll like this and it has all the original paint on it. And it’s the same like on the doll on the link, and many others from this seller who claims that: “…this is achieved by numerous layers of custom mixed Genesis heat set paints, which are permanent…”

What do you think? Can some nail manicure really be worth the money the seller is asking? Or you believe some actual reborning work has been done on these dolls?

That’s because 14" Berenguers come prepainted with blushing and creases. Even the spots on the left arm are there (on mine, unreborned). I can try and make some photos of it so you can see what I’m talking about

Really! And if all you are going to do is paint the nails at least make an efforet to do them right. It looks white fingernail polish on them

To me it looks like the lips have been glossed, then nails not tipped, but nail polish on them.

Lips are originally glossy, I just checked on my doll.

And to think people are actually believing that they’re buying a true reborn doll, when they could simply go to a toystore and buy the same thing for like $20…

I think it takes all kind. Everyone looking for a buck and will say anything to get it.

— Begin quote from “Diana EV”

Here is what MY doll (the very same one) looks like as a reborn. (He has been adopted)

— End quote

Diana - what a beautiful baby!

— Begin quote from “Diana EV”

Here is what MY doll (the very same one) looks like as a reborn. (He has been adopted)

— End quote

See now this is a reborned berenguer. the one in the listing got taken out of the box, put in an outfit, and added $60 onto the price. ridiculous.

— Begin quote from “DebiC”

really they sell these for $20 in croatia?
What store? do you have walmarts or Kmarts?

— End quote

Of course not

I got mine from USA, like everything else LOL. The most popular doll here is “Baby born”, but no playdolls look as good as Berenguers. But I recall someone saying that these Berenguers are like $16 in Kmart or Walmart.

Diana - I love what you’ve done with the doll. Now that’s a reborn baby!

I’m waiting for the right time to reborn mine - I’m saving it for when I’m more experienced, I just love that sculpt so much and don’t want to mess it up I’ve already changed its eyes to lovely shade of brown

@Kynciso - It’s a Honey by Donna RuBert! Thank you

— Begin quote from “rose”

Hi, that is one realistic berenguer. LOVE the eyes. I have many and find when I try to remove paint the blush
and lips it come off completely. I do not see any paint on my cotton balls on the skin except for around the hair. the cotton is filthy. . I think
the skin is just made that way and not painted. do any of you see paint from the skin when you remove the paint on your cotton? the
painting on the one shown here is very artistic. the baby from here is totally different. I do all of the painting but when I use flesh colored paint on everything but the head just looks more shiny. most of my berenguers have a good
colored skin to begin with. better vinyl I think. Do you have problems with shine on the limbs??

— End quote

Hi Rose! Maybe you’re not using the right solvent to remove paint? I know that on my Berjusa doll acetone didn’t work very well, but a strong solvent from Marabu worked perfectly and removed all the paint. I didn’t try removing paint from Berenguer yet, but I’ll try that soon.

Diana, are you sure about 18mm? I used 16 in mine and they barely made it in

My first attempts at “reborning” were Walmart Berenguer dolls. I took them apart, did not remove the factory paint, and I followed Genesis instructions and did the blue wash, 08 flesh, 08 flesh with a little brown, mottled with cosmetic sponge, veins, shading, nails, lips, etc… I did not redo the hair. I baked at 265-275 for 8 minutes multiple times. Purchased a body from Bountiful Baby, added magnets, weighting, and clothing, head bands, eyelashes etc. and gave them to my granddaughters and niece for Christmas this past year. It was a good way for me to start and I have since done Sam and Sera from the kit. I am pretty hooked. The photos don’t really show much of the stork bite and veining, but the dolls were VERY well received. I think that Donna Passmore (Affair of the Heart) in Oklahoma City uses oils (not Genesis) on her Berenguers and she does weight them and dress them and I think she sells them for about $65.00-$75.00 for the 14" babies. She is a really sweet lady, and she does do some REAL reborning from kits.[attachment=0]IMG_0446x.jpg[/attachment]

Pia, these are very lifelike Berenguers! I’m not a fan of those sculptsbut you sure can add life to them! Well done!

I’ve seen some 14 inchers that are just gorgeous! Some of them have custom bodies for better posing, almost all of them have new eyes and hair, even preemie eyelashes. Those dolls are beautiful even without any reborning done, but when they are reborned well, they can be wonderful. I hope to achieve that someday

— Begin quote from “Friki”

Pia, these are very lifelike Berenguers! I’m not a fan of those sculptsbut you sure can add life to them! Well done!

I’ve seen some 14 inchers that are just gorgeous! Some of them have custom bodies for better posing, almost all of them have new eyes and hair, even preemie eyelashes. Those dolls are beautiful even without any reborning done, but when they are reborned well, they can be wonderful. I hope to achieve that someday

— End quote

Thanks… I hope to one day be able to reborn a baby in a short enough period of time that I would be willing to sell one… Thinking I will do Riley or Holly or Aubrey next… maybe all three…