I DID IT! Opened her eyes!

My Celeste kit arrived, I ripped her out of the box, and OPENED HER EYES!!! I am soooooo EXCITED!!! She truly looks now as if she just finished eating and needs a nap. Thank you so much @Marion for being brave enough to open her eyes and show us your fabulous work ~ if mine turns out HALF as good I’ll be thrilled! :blush:

9 Likes

I’m sure she will look fantastic. She was such a great price at least I wasn’t totally afraid to try it.

2 Likes

OH! OH! OH! So excited! YOU DID IT! Hurray!!! I wanna do mine now. She’s not here yet and won’t be till at least Monday so this is going to be hard. But I know exactly how I want them to look now, so this will work!

3 Likes

I was sooooo scared, but I had a new blade in my exacto, and just took a deep breath and jumped right in! I went slow and followed the lines and I think they’ll be fine. Now to order some eyes for her!

3 Likes

Good for you! Just a tip, you might want to try glass eyes. I know they are a bit more expensive but you have more room for error rather than poly glass which the glue will ruin if you don’t get it right the first time. Trust me I know!

2 Likes

Congratulations, Karen! Did you use any acetone or alcohol to smooth it out?

2 Likes

Ordering eyes right now, @Marion ~ 18mm, right?

@Amy, I have not smoothed them out yet ~ shouldn’t need much, though, my blade was brand new and really sharp. I can’t believe I actually got brave enough to do this. NOW I’m shaking! :smile:

6 Likes

I think a new blade is key to the process…hadn’t thought about it, though.

2 Likes

Congratulations on your bravery! I have to commend you on your nerves of steel. I have tried and tried with mine to only loose my nerve lol. So my Celeste will stay as a sleeping baby and may get my nerves up another time and try again. My one question is how do you keep the eyes in?..Since there is no socket like in an open-eye baby.

1 Like

Okay, here’s my plan…never opened the eyes on a sleeping baby before, have nooooo idea how I’m going to get the eyes in there since there’s no eye socket BUT I’ve been digging around for info all over the net and here’s what I came up with:

I’m going to glue the eyes to a piece of felt, and then glue them behind the slits and pray a lot.

If that doesn’t work, I don’t have another plan but will be begging for HELP!

6 Likes

@marion How did you put your eyes in? I was thinking glue and then silicone? or back them with felt?

I used glass eyes glued to felt. Then smeared glue on the whites of the eyes and held them in place till they set.

what type of glue did you use?

Are you guys using the flat-backed glass eyes? I kept trying to figure out how you were glueing them to felt but then realized you must mean the flat backed ones I have a bunch of those laying around. I guess I’ll see how they look.

e6000

Good. My eye glue of choice!

1 Like

Now I want her to get here so I can try! I have been working on Gemma today and she is coming out really cute, probably just because the Gemma sculpt is really cute. I’m supposed to be doing photos so I can post some of my newer dolls but I’m just making one after another after another… I have never done so many in so short a time. I’m averaging about a week a doll. The new techniques are fast and I love to play with them so it keeps me in the doll room longer than usual. Probably longer than I should be since when I am in there I forget about all the other things I need to get done.LOL

3 Likes

So, would you use the BB glass eyes? The German half round flat back? Or the Oval Flat back? I think someone asked about 18 mm, but I didn’t see a response. This will be my first “eye opening” experience. . hehehe.

2 Likes

“eye-opening experience” So funny! :laughing:

3 Likes