Huxley Arcello

Does any one started on Huxley by A. Arcello?
If Yes, please share your experience with her vinyl. I am so interested to hear your opinion.

1 Like

You and I have discussed these flaws in private message and most of these issues are the exact same on mine and yours. So I’ll share them for everyone else to see. :wink:
First of all, I absolutely love the kit. She does have lots of minor flaws, but I varnished mine before painting. She only has 1 layer of paint so far, but she took the paint fine and I don’t see all these flaws now that I varnished her.
First, I want to say…my kit was very greasy and gritty. I had to wash her 3 times in soapy water, and wipe her down 3 times with alcohol. Oily residue just kept coming up to the surface. You’ll notice a lot of the pics have random dark, oily spots.
This was after 2 baths…

As for her head, there are 2 spots that look like ringworms on the scalp. Varnish seems to have disguised them so far. And I’ll be rooting mine. So I’m not too worried about them.

The nostrils have skin tags and the lip has a deep gap that might pool paint.
There’s a sharp spot on the crease under the left eye. I sanded mine a little to smooth it.

Behind one ear is rough

And there are random scalpel marks all over. I recommend baking the blank kit before varnishing, as a few random scalpel type marks didn’t show up til after she was heated. But those aren’t as deep as this one.

Mine’s arms seemed fine other than being greasy and gritty. (By gritty, I mean the whole kit felt like it had fine sand on it.)
But the legs have some quirks. This one has a little skin tag
It also has little bubbly rough spots along this crease. I also circled a couple of knicks and a black dot.

The other leg has bubble creases, but it’s hard to see in the pic.

It also has a weird rough spot

And the crease between the toes isn’t cut deep at all. So it’s going to take some work to make the toes look like separate parts.

But, most of this is superficial. Thorough cleaning, minor sanding, and varnish to start should be enough. I love the kit so much that I went ahead and bought another one. :blush:

6 Likes

Oddly enough, my Eloisa kit has a lot of the same flaws: oily, dirty, needed multiple washes, odd lines like the vinyl had been scraped, crumbly creases. At first, I was disappointed and said I would not do another Arcello sculpt, but she ended up painting just fine and is a cutie. I have a Madison Arcello and I see some similarities in quality to Eloisa, but I expected that because she is older :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

Since my Huxley has all same flaws as Katina’s, beside that mine didn’t come that greezy, I think all that imperfections are in mold.
Despite all of that and the fact that she just soaked in eyelid purple mottling, so I had to go over twice in the same round, I am in love with her. She is cute as a button.

Here she is with 2 washes and 2 layers of mottling and I didn’t shaded her yet, but wanted to see her with the eyes that I just got yesterday from BB.

12 Likes

She is looking adorable already! :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

I went and looked my kit over and the only flaws you pointed out I can see on mine is the little slash on the back of the neck and the rough spots on the left leg creases. If I had not looked intently for them I would not have noticed any of them. I did notice when I opened my kit that the toes are more fused together than I prefer. I do like how nicely her legs hang on the body when she is together though.

As for the oily vinyl, that is an Euro vinyl and Spanish vinyl issue that I have dealt with before. I have some kit scrub from MacPherson’s that works well to cut that.

6 Likes

I am coming back to say I did not notice it until I was rinsing off my pieces and felt the top of the head and yes it DOES have a rough patch. What the heck?

4 Likes

Mine also has all the same issues but I’m going to start her anyways and hope I don’t pool paint in that dip in the lip :see_no_evil::weary:

1 Like

She is really cute, can’t wait to see what you all do with her. I’ve said this before: "I don’t care how cheap or expensive a kit is, you can’t beat Bountiful Baby’s Vinyl!!!

12 Likes

I was wondering how was your different and didn’t have those spots that Katina brilliantly described as ringworms.

1 Like

That is absolute truth!

3 Likes

You can’t really see them on mine but you can feel them.

1 Like

I can share that her limbs are unusually soft (for my limited experience). I can band her leg in a half or pinch two sides together even at the widest thigh part.
And she drinks paint like crazy. Her mottling was literally disappearing in front of my eyes. I still love her to pieces!

1 Like

Maisie’s limbs are all squishy like that too. I have one here yet to reborn.

2 Likes

I have mixed feelings about her vinyl. I didn’t sealed her with varnish first, as @Katinafleming recommended, as I wanted smooth painting, and even despite that some places on her became very gritty while some are still sleaky smooth. I know it’s not paint as it the same mix with different results. But I am not worried about that too much as she is my keeper and I adore that face :slight_smile:

Did you start to paint yours? What about you @jeanhai Jean?
I want to hear everyone experience, so I can learn from them.

2 Likes

Oh mannn I am going back and forth so much about getting this kit!

1 Like

I have not started mine as I am in the middle of 2 custom orders right now. However, I always seal my kits with air dry primer first so that will take care of most all the issues for me. Even if I decided to paint some layers with Genesis, I still seal with air dry primer. I have said to people over and over that air dry primer is the best course of action before painting REGARDLESS of the brand paint used but many are still skeptical or resistant to that idea.

(I use ReborFX Primer but have also used Golden Fluid Matte Medium as a primer. You can also use Golden Matte Gel but not the Ultra Matte. As long as the product says on the bottle it can be used as a translucent ground it means it can also function as a primer.)

3 Likes

Get her! The vinyl is wonky. But she is sooooo cute. Pictures don’t do her justice. As for painting, I don’t think she will be any more time consuming. Sure, I had to varnish to start. And new dents pop up every time I bake. But everyone’s has the same flaws. So if they show up in the end, they will show up on nearly everyone else’s too. But some things will be easier. She already has so much definition that shading won’t take much. She’s going to look alive much quicker than a lot of kits.

2 Likes

I say get it! How fun will it be for all of us to show each other our Huxleys when done :heart_eyes::blush: I think it will be so fun to see how different they all turn out :heart:

1 Like

Thank you! I need to order that primer.