How's everyone doing with there dumplin challenge

I was just curious how everyone was doing with dumplin! Personally I’m not sure if she’s gonna be like a fantasy baby or just a baby. Now I get what you mean when you all say they look dolly. She totally does but I’m trying to make her a baby but I’m thinking some cool eyes she could be a fantasy baby too lol guess I will have to see when I get some hair what I’m gonna do with her. I’m hoping to have her done. To many kits going at once an traveling for work stinks. If I bring a head to root I’m wicked busy at work an if I bring nothing to reborn I’m bored. Just can’t win lol

2 Likes

I finished rooting my dumplin. No matter what I do… Still dolly. I’ll just pray for a good costume… Lololol. I’m personally glad to be almost done with this one. Not my fav!

1 Like

I hear ya girl lol Not one of my fav either! Thank god her head is small lol I’m gonna ship that to you also this week. I’m glad you commented. My head has been all over the place lately. Well it kinda always is lol sorry it’s taking so long. I’m putting it with the other stuff I have to print labels out for right now lol just in case I get called into work my brother an niece can handle it lol I wanna see a picture :slight_smile: an I wish I could show mine for advice lol I think I may just start rooting an use the heat gun if I have to

1 Like

Mine did NOT turn out the way I first thought. Took on a entirely new direction! So, my original Halloween costume is out of the question. Back to the drawing board to figure out something new. And THANK YOU LESLIE!!! I know how busy you are!!! :heart:️:heart:️:heart:️:heart:️

1 Like

I’ve got 3 entries so far! Can’t wait to see the rest of them!

2 Likes

I am finished making the doll! I just need to do the photo Shoot and will be sending my pics!! Yeah it almost over for this baby girl!!

2 Likes

Weeeeeellllll i did a big no no. I used her as my first fx baby. Duh you dont use a contest doll to practice with new paint. Turned out ok but, yeah, i know better. Have to do eyelashes and pictures still i actually looked at her about 1/2way through and said well arent you about the ugliest little thing I’ve made in a while. My mom went, Darla! She finished out alright tho and my mom wants her.

2 Likes

My mom likes mine too. She is my least fav. I have done … Not counting my first ones. Whateves!

2 Likes

I still need to do lashes. I don’t think that will make things change up a whole lot! Lol😃

2 Likes

When does the contest end?? :open_mouth:

1 Like

It ends October 4th :blush:

3 Likes

Thanks for the heads up!! :slight_smile: @demonicchic12

Really!!! Is it only 25 more days till the halloween challenge is here?

Can’t wait to see all you ladies babies…I am ready to vote!!!

1 Like

Can I see examples of the type of pics we are to enter? So I know what kind to take?

how much should I sell dumplin muffin punkin and pudding as a set. And how many pkgs of beads and pkgs of monhair does it take because I am a new artist. thanks everyone for your help

@nikkiroc
Nikki, I think in the past they limited it to one close up face pic and one full body, but I could be wrong. You could pull up the old contests to check out examples.

@sandra1956 How much you sell them as a set is up to you. It really depends on the materials you use and the quality of your work. Newer artists tend to price their first few babies a bit less and increase their prices as their skills improve. I would say count how much your cost is and don’t forget all the details that cost money (all materials, clothes, shipping materials, etc.) then add how much you want to get for your work. Although many reborners don’t make much per hour even when they do quality work. The market will let you know if the price is too high. If it doesn’t sell during a peak selling time you know it has to be the price. You might check out other reborns and see if you can tell around where your skills are at and price in that range.

I would think selling all 4 together as a set would be difficult, but that is just my opinion and I could be wrong. Many people have a hard time affording one reborn at a time, never mind 4. Also, even if they can afford them all, they might not have the space or desire for 4. But then again, all you need is one mommy who does want 4.

If you are new to rooting it might take you more mohair than an experienced person as you might waste more. I would probably think 2 oz in total (1/2 oz per head) but I could be wrong. Remember you can cut the mohair into shorter pieces and cover more scalp per strand that way. It depends how you root (dense or sparse), how long you leave the hair, if it’s combo or just rooted. I am not very experienced at rooting so maybe someone else can help.

Glass beads: depends how heavy you want them. I use about 4 lbs per newborn so the baby ends up around 4 lbs 9 oz but if you want heavier, use more, lighter, less. Remember that reborns feel heavier than “real” babies at the same weight, because it’s dead weight. So the 4 1/2 lbs may feel like 6 or so.

2 Likes

I’d start out with four, advertising them as quadruplets, keeping in mind that you can always change it to triplets, twins, or individual babies if they don’t sell. Decide what you would charge for an individual baby, multiply by four and then give a discount for the multiples. And remember, shipping will cost a lot in the US and be astronomical internationally.

1 Like

I’m out of this challenge lol dumplings limbs can out so good I love the way her feet came out but that face for the life of me I can’t get it not to look dolly so put her in a zip lock bag an working on my other babies. I’m sorry but I hate that kit lol I guess I could make her a zombie or something I don’t know. Maybe I’m just fusterated with things. Still have a few weeks an I may take her out but right now she’s staying in the drawer lol

1 Like

Just finish it Leslie! I feel the same way! But… I was so happy to be done!!! And now I have a cheap doll to sell! :heart:

2 Likes

I know I should just finish it lol I was so mad last night at that face of hers :slight_smile: I don’t get why the limbs you can get to look real but not the face. It’s the same vinyl. I’m just not gonna look at her for a little while an maybe go back to it. Just fusterated an life throws you some curve balls sometimes an it don’t help. @Nikkiroc your right I will have a cheap doll to sell an seeing I’m so broke I probably should. I have still yet to mail out a few things because I had to cancel the shipping labels an now waiting for them to give me a refund. 4 things I was gonna send out I put my address where it’s suppose to be shipped to lol I’m such a dope. They was just small gifts for a few people but just goes to show I’m stressing!!! Being away for nights at a time for work isn’t helping. Always worrying about my boys an my niece even though my brother is there. I think I’m very overtired. I’m heading home at 2:30 gonna shower an go hide in my craft room an see what I can do with sweet little dumplin!!!

2 Likes