How would you handle this?

What would you do if a customer wants a custom and you really dislike the kit? Would you make it anyway?

1 Like

I try to show them other kits they may like better once I find out what it is they like about the ugly one. Is she dead set on it?

No. I just wonder what other people would do in this situation, because I think it would be hard to do a really good job on a kit you don’t even like.

1 Like

You could always look at it as a challenge. See if you can make something lovely out of a sculpt you didn’t even like. With all the work to make it beautiful it may end up being your best work yet.

2 Likes

I actually have done that with some creative licensing. Not my all time best work, but I really like her. I bought an Angel head from someone on the forum because I wanted to try something with it. I thought she had potential but needed a little tweaking. She didn’t appeal to me AT ALL. She has so many really deep creases that they look unrealistic to me. So I filled them in, gave her a lower lip and 1/4 limbs which basically makes her a cuddle baby with hands and feet that you don’t have to cover.

She’s for sale on reborns.com but she’s now one of my favorites that I’ve made. She’s super cuddly, snuggles right in, and it’s hard to put her down. She’s cuter in person. Everyone who’s seen her loves her.

3 Likes

I hate doing customs as it is. Usually I tell them that I can’t do it. I will also say no if they want it a certain sex and I don’t agree. I need to be able to have vision and excitement when I work. If not, I’ll find reasons to avoid doing it. There are so many artists out there willing to do whatever it is that people want. It’s easier for me to stay true to myself and my art.

3 Likes

Dealing with this issue right now. The lady sent me a picture of a kit that looks really cute in half light sitting by a Christmas tree wearing a Santa hat, but in reality…oof…I sent her pics of Owen Awake and Joseph Awake, hoping she’ll change her mind. If nothing else, the kits are cheaper than the place she was searching. I don’t like doing customs, but this is a long time repeat customer and I absolutely will try to please her…and myself, by helping her to choose a cuter kit that I feel I can actually work with. This is one of those selling ice to Eskimos situations :laughing:

1 Like

Lol… I knew I couldn’t be the only one who helped their customers find cuter kits.

I really would have a hard time painting a kit I didn’t like. Sure, I could go through the motions, but not really have the desire to do it. It would be a chore like painting my dining room wall was. So in short, I’d possibly do it, but would need some sort of motivation since none would be coming from the kit… I’d have to be either well compensated, desperate for a few bucks, or trying to make a return customer that I really liked happy.

2 Likes

Personally, I think painting the dining room wall would be more fun than painting a kit I don’t like.

3 Likes

! painted it purple, put a giant vase of yellow flowers on the floor, then stuck yellow butterflies to the wall flowing like they were coming from the vase and flying across the wall… So yes, way more fun than painting a kit I didn’t like. :rofl:

1 Like

That sounds way cool. I’d like to see it. Will you post a picture?

1 Like

Hahaa… Does that mean I have to clean my dining room? Lol Let me see if I can find an old pic.

Here you go, @jeanhai.

11 Likes

@jeanhai Cute baby I am going to have to try that cuddle baby with the 1/4 limbs.

@DollyPardon love your creative vase and wall!

1 Like

Thanks, @AnnieSokay! White walls look like blank canvas to me. Can’t help myself. I didn’t paint this mural, but here’s what I did to my youngest daughter’s room. Still need to hang the chandelier though.

6 Likes

I have done some kits that I hated when I started thm, but really liked when they were done. If I were you I"d do it.

I had to make a Moby kit for a 13 year old girl this fall. She picked the kit out of all of the others she had seen. I was never impressed with little Moby. I asked if it was the clothes she had on or did she really like the kit. So , long story short, I made the kit and actually was happy with how she turned out.

Can I move in? Haha!

1 Like

I may need a consultation in a few months, lol! @DollyPardon

1 Like

No problem, @AnnieSokay! I’ve run out of blank walls in here, so I’ll be free. :rofl:

1 Like