How to hold the scissors when cutting hair?

Does anyone know how to hold the scissors when cutting hair so you don’t end up with the blunt end cut that looks like the baby’s hair has been already been cut?

I hold the scissors the same way as normal (in my hand) but pull all the mohair out straight from the head… all over the head, then cut it…( I hope this makes sense, I know what I mean, but hard to write it) for more baby styles… so you get little wispy ends… hope this helps

4 Likes

Thats the way I cut hair as well…just like the hairdresser does. I also have a razor comb that I use for little babies to make the ends appear as if they haven’t been cut…if that makes sense :wink:

2 Likes

Here is the diagram Jen from Little Wrens Nest shared long ago on what angle and such for cutting reborn’s hair…

And a link: Professional haircut for reborn?

4 Likes

I do the same with scissors pull straight out and cut at angle and I use the razor omb also helps the hair to lay down nice and flat and doesn’t look cut…:footprints::baby:

2 Likes

I’d like to know how to use the razor comb

2 Likes

I use the razor comb too and I just crab a layer of the hair and start trimming away.

I purchased one of those, but it never has worked properly for me. I am sure the problem is with the operator. LOL But it just seems to drag on the hair.

1 Like

What you mean by dragging it, you mean it just pulls hair right out the doll’s head?:neutral_face::hushed:

Oh. Well, when I hold the hair and I try to use the razor comb (with a brand new blade I might add) I just get this “draggy” feeling and it doesn’t really cut the hair. I know I am doing something wrong – just don’t know what. :slight_smile: I have watch hair dressers use them and they make it look so easy. Just part and hold the hair and cut away!

2 Likes

Ok, thanks!:+1::smile:

Is the razor comb meant to drag towards the ends of the hair? Or towards the roots?

1 Like

drag towards the ends of the hair.

I do drag it toward the ends of the hair.

I’ve never cut hair before. On this diagram, which angle is used to cut the 6 area?

Honestly the best way to learn how to do this just to watch some YouTube videos. There is a series on hair cutting called hair 101 with April. They are amazing. I have actually been cutting here for years and I have learned a few things from her. You can do Point cutting and that will give the hair a more natural look instead of a fresh haircut look as well. She shows how to do that very well in her videos she Point Cuts just about everybody. I actually prefer this technique when I get my own haircut. Just a suggestion hope that you figure out what you’re looking for

2 Likes

Thank you so much for sharing this. I have watched a lot of videos on YouTube, but not so much on hair cutting. This looks to be very helpful.

I mainly use it on the ends of the hair, to answer your question @Mommarobin. I also hold the hair so it doesn’t pull but it will drag if you just run it through the hair.

1 Like

I never used a razor comb… but take the tip of the scissors and cut into the edge (I think it does the same thing that way)

1 Like

I found her site where she has pictures showing how she uses this diagram! Here’s the link:https://www.littlewrensnest.shop/page-2-1

5 Likes