How much would you charge to just paint a kit? (+rooting if you do that)

Just wondering what the general thoughts are on this? If you have pictures of your work too, as an example it would be great.

Reborning is an art, but part of the art is putting it all together, weighting it, boxing it nicely etc… I’m just curious really :slight_smile:

1 Like

I base my prices on how large the kit is, especially for the rooting as I mono root one hair at a time it can be very time consuming! On average I say about $150-$250 for painting and $100-$300 for rooting.

2 Likes

Would you rather just make the whole reborn or are you not bothered either way? Mine are nowhere near good enough to send as just a kit anyway lol

2 Likes

Cost of kit x 3. Bigger kits usually cost more and require more paint. I would love to paint kits and send them off. I wouldn’t mind rooting for hire either, but I don’t think I’m that good.

3 Likes

I charge about the same, minus weighting, stuffing and layette. Size of the kit is definitely a factor and bald or rooted is too. I don’t mind doing painted kits, but I do enjoy doing photo shoots of finished babies.

3 Likes

What’s funny is when I’ve bought reborns before, I wouldn’t mind not getting clothes but I’d feel weird about getting a reborn sent with no clothes, like I was being mean… @Peachtree, what if the kit was on sale though? or do you just base it off the unreduced price?

1 Like

I go by retail price. If I catch a sale, that’s my luck. I wouldn’t accept kits from the customer unless I really trusted the person it was a SOLE. I would be afraid there’d be some small kit defect that I would get blamed for. If I order it from the factory then I’m covered.

2 Likes

That’s fair enough @Peachtree :slight_smile:

1 Like

Cant really say…depends on kit. Some kits eat the paint like nothing, and others are trouble makers…:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Actually, I would prefer getting a kit just painted with nothing else. I like my babies weighed a certain way and have too may clothes shoes etc. So just a painted kit would work for me. I’d pay at least $200.

1 Like

@AnnieSokay I personally like the idea of receiving a baby all wrapped up in a cute sleeper with a couple of outfits, but I’m really fussy with clothes that I like, and reborns are expensive anyway, without adding on a random selection of clothes I might not be keen on, when I have TONS already… I think I’m addicted! haha

2 Likes

@syla I have a lot of bodies, rings, stuffing, glass beads, etc…

I don’t think I would.

I like the whole process and like to own it (I don’t play well with others).

Painting for me is the larger part of the cost of the doll because I also paint hair.

I pay myself 20 bucks an hour to paint (I should raise that up a bit I think) it is fair and keeps my dolls priced fairy while allowing me a bit of a profit.

2 Likes

I purchased a kit last year, Summer Rain. I paid $250. + shipping for her and she is only veined, blushed and matted. No toning, no mottling, none of the detailing I appreciate in a reborn. To be fair, she did say it was not all of her work… :upside_down_face:
Why am I telling this, be careful what you want to convey if you plan to sell a painted kit. Please make it about the kit and details you’ve done on it, not about showing it in a fancy article of clothing that distracts from the real issue - giving the person their money’s worth. Same for a Reborn, I now look for one in just a white onesie or even naked with some body pictures. To me that signifies the artist isn’t trying to hide her/his work. And no pacifiers.
IF a kit is done properly why not ask $250 and up? Especially if there is hair on it. I plan to start painting some of my kits that I’ve had for a while and if I put the work into them I am putting into my reborn’s that I paint now, I would not ask less than $225-250 and higher. If you start your work high because it is worth that price, people will pay.

2 Likes

Yes, yes, YES.

I definitely learned my lesson about this recently when customer sent me a kit. It had been stripped, but there was paint remaining, mostly on hands, in between fingers and all around toes. There were also cracks around the eye sockets where someone had obviously attempted to insert eyes from the front.

I was furious. It should not be up to me to scrub old paint off of a kit (some never did come off) when I don’t strip my own kits that I mess up. But I had to because I did not want my name attached to a doll with dirty looking hands and feet. In hindsight, I should have just sent it back because it was not worth the aggravation.

Never again.

I now only accept kits from repeat customers.

3 Likes