How much hair should be inside the head?

Hi all!

I’m really struggling with rooting right now, and I was wondering if I could ask a favor. Whenever I root, very little (if any) hair actually goes through the vinyl and into the inside. It looks normal from the outside, but none of the hair actually shows from the inside. I have tried switching hair brands and technique, but I’m at a loss. I have no idea what to do.

Can I see a picture of the inside of a head you’re rooting? Do any of you know what I’m doing wrong? What should I try?

For reference, I use a gauge 46 needle, and I’ve tried mohair from Delta Dawn, Angela Sprott, and Slumberland.

1 Like

Insert needle deeper. If you don’t see it inside the head you cannot glue it. I had this happen before.

4 Likes

I would use a 42 or 43 gauge needle.

1 Like

One time I had a baby with thick vinyl in the head and when I rooted at an angle the hair wasn’t going through. So like @Estelle85 said insert needle deeper and less of an angle. Like @Msmimi04 I use a 42g but forked needle.

2 Likes

I use Heavenly Illusion needles and insert needle up to the pink coating (when it starts after the metal part of the needle), so I have A LOT of hair inside of my heads.

4 Likes

Me too.

1 Like

Where do you buy those needles

MacPherson’s

Thank you

1 Like

Ok, thank you so much! What hair do you root with?

1 Like

What hair do you use? Does that make a difference?

I used different mohair: Delta Dawn (my least favorite), Golden Fleece, Karmandoll from Russia. All of them behave the same for me.

1 Like

In the process of rooting June

4 Likes

Ok, thank you so much!

1 Like

The hair doesn’t make a difference I root the same even with synthetic.

Her hair looks so soft and pretty

Thank you :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: it is!!! I love it! I used the hair from Olga. The only hair I’ll ever use from now on

KarmanDolls’s shop on Etsy

It’s “brown medium” it looked so dark before I started rooting but it’s a nice neutral ashy brown

3 Likes

Looks gorgeous! It says the hair is only $6.50. How much hair do you get?

3 Likes

The price is per 10 grams of hair (approximately 0.35 ounces).
She has the most inexpensive hair and it’s beautiful!

1 Like

A lot! I think she sends three little pony tails and what’s on June’s head is about half of a ponytail (cut in half length wise)

1 Like