How many babies do you work on in the same time?

I like to have about 3-4 when I paint; that way I can paint all day without sitting around waiting for the bits to dry or cool down. I have them usually in different stages; when I finish one, I start the next. Some I might concentrate on and finish, while some I deliberately neglect and go slow on them - usually when I am not sure what should I do with them. After painting solidly for couple of weeks, I then spend the next few weeks rooting, and making bodies -
But from what people say it seems that they only do one baby at the time?

One at a time for me! I tried it once to paint two, because I was making “twins” and I needed to keep the skintones, mottling, etc somewhat consistent, but it was awkward for me. I like to take my time & if I am continually getting up to take pieces from the oven, that means I am more focused on listening to the oven timer than my work.

And, that doesn't work well for me.     

I usually have 2 going at the same time, or at least one forlorn baby saying “me, me, me!”

I usually work on 4 or 5 babies at a time. I agree that it’s more efficient in theory, because you never have to sit around and wait for parts to dry or cool. Problem is, I suddenly end up with 5 fully painted babies that require hair, which is my Achilles heel, and really takes me forever. Since I love painting, I can’t seem to stop, so often I end up with a backlog of babies waiting to be completely finished (I’m at 8 right now - talk about inefficient!)

1 Like

I like to do 2 at a time. As I paint one the other is is in the oven and cooling and then switch.

1 Like

I have done 2 at a time, but usually just paint one.

I usually do one at a time, but I have done two. Since they were different sizes it was easy to differentiate between the two (The mottling,etc). The next time I reborn, I am going to do two Lanes at the same time and I expect I will be cross eyed and pulling my hair out by the time I’m finished. I just know it.

— Begin quote from “dothehokeypokey”

I usually work on 4 or 5 babies at a time. I agree that it’s more efficient in theory, because you never have to sit around and wait for parts to dry or cool. Problem is, I suddenly end up with 5 fully painted babies that require hair, which is my Achilles heel, and really takes me forever. Since I love painting, I can’t seem to stop, so often I end up with a backlog of babies waiting to be completely finished (I’m at 8 right now - talk about inefficient!)

— End quote

LOL that is my case too; I have a large plastic tub where I place the painted ones needing hair and few months ago I realised it was almost full plus I have all sort of keepers, which are put together but have tempraly wigs or just hats, all waiting to be rooted. I gave myself ultimatum; I am not allowed to paint until I root all the babies in the tub, and at least some of my keepers. So, I have still 3 bubs to root before I am allowed to get back to my Cozy.
I find waiting around too frustrating. I mark all my kit parts when they arrive, so there is no way to mix them up. I know what you mean when you say you want to concentrate on one. But when I do several that does not mean that I do not concentrate on the one that I am painting in any particular time; it’s just that when it needs dry or is cooling down I just pick up the next one.

i always do 2 or 3 at a time but i do the layering different and tweak the tones so the babies are diffrent

I usually do just one but a few weeks ago I decided to paint Liliian Legler, Precious Gift, Mikki Winters, and Winnie Jameson.

I did all base coats the same, creases, veins, and some mottling. Then I started working on them one at a time to try to achieve
their personal tones. Now I have 4 heads to root…AAAAGGGGHHHHH I won’t do that again.

— Begin quote from “Ludmila”

But when I do several that does not mean that I do not concentrate on the one that I am painting in any particular time; it’s just that when it needs dry or is cooling down I just pick up the next one.

— End quote

Of course you do have to give each of them individual attention - even when you’re working on four. I always have three or four different flesh tones mixed, and the same for blushing, creases, etc (you should see my work space). I could never work like an assembly line, mass producing five babies that all have the same colouring and details. That would be a total snooze - no fun at all. I’m currently working on a potential red-head (ack! that wasn’t my intention; I think he decided for himself) and my first ethnic babe - and every other skin tone in between, it would seem.

— Begin quote from “ChristinasCreations”

I have started doing two at a time so I can keep working while one is cooling or drying. I made myself up some “Medical” charts so I can start one with each Baby. I have all the steps on it including bake times after each step so I can just mark it off when I am finished with that step. That way when I have to leave them and come back, I can see just where I need to start back up again Also I have put other things on there like what I weight them with, if their nose is open, color of eyes, birth date, weight, etc. That way when I list them on e-bay I will have all their information already to list. Any ways…that works for me

— End quote

Wow, indeed. Makes me feel guilty for the various body parts I have scattered all over my house from top to bottom - uh-oh, I sound like someone you wouldn’t want to meet in a dark alley. Now that I think about it, if anyone ever read some of these threads they might get the wrong idea: we’re all stalkers, watching each other, with heads and limbs drying on racks (you know, so we can bake them in our ovens), and in our spare time, we try to sell babies on the internet. Nice.

1 Like

— Begin quote from “ChristinasCreations”

I made myself up some “Medical” charts so I can start one with each Baby. I have all the steps on it including bake times after each step so I can just mark it off when I am finished with that step. That way when I have to leave them and come back, I can see just where I need to start back up again

— End quote

I tried that but kept forgetting to fill in the info Wish I did that for my Cozy who was started before Xmas, and left while I am catching up with the rooting. Now, every time I look at her I wonder what I did up to this point, and where to go from here. I find it very difficult going back to kit started so long ago, but have no problem keeping up with multiple kits I am working on. After few coats they are each different hue, and I do not even have to look at my marks on the rims to know which limb belongs to which kit.

I paint two at a time because I use airdry paints- I do one layer on all the parts and everything dries by layer two etc. They cure a few days while I root other babies during the week- I usually post one doll on all my sites on weekends because I work full-time also besides making dolls.

So far, I only do one at a time, but I can see that it might be more efficient to do two while you are waiting for one to bake and cool.