How long

Hi, how long after the bubble bath do you wait b4 you can start painting? Thanks

Linda

I can’t help you unless you use air dry sealer. Since I mix it with water to thin it down, I don’t have to wait. I just shake the worst of the water off. Don’t dry it or you’ll get lint. I think the ones who use genesis let them dry overnight.

Thanks for your response. I’m gonna use genius paint. I only washed the outside water didn’t get inside the kit.

Linda

I let the parts dry over night since I use the genesis paints.

If you a anxious to get started, set your blow dryer on low and dry them that way. Let them cool before you start painting. Love “genius” paints…I am guessing your spell correct didn’t like the word “genesis”. Happens to me all the time. I recently tried to type SOCK two times in another post…once it was “sick” and the next time it was “rock”. Darn computers!!

Linda, after I give my vinyl parts the bath in Dawn dish soap I rinse in very hot water, shake off what will come off and then set the parts on top of several floor registers while the furnace is running. I usually can start paint in a few hours and may just have to wipe a stubborn drop or two off of the flange. Make sure there is no water in the eye sockets.

I read on a post that when it comes time to seal the hair with (E60000, Gem Tac, Modge Podge etc), that sometimes the glue doesn’t like to stick. This person suggested to wash the inside of the head and limbs and well. Thought this was worth mentioning.

— Begin quote from “Baby_Honey”

I read on a post that when it comes time to seal the hair with (E60000, Gem Tac, Modge Podge etc), that sometimes the glue doesn’t like to stick. This person suggested to wash the inside of the head and limbs and well. Thought this was worth mentioning.

— End quote

YES - I am going to do this from now on… I had not had a problem until my most recent rooting and the Mod Podge didn’t like sticking… Had to do 3 thin layers and it did finally cover, but it was an effort… I will do the inside of the head from now on… I have read where some folks clean the parts (after washing) with alcohol to remove any additional oils that might not have been washed off…

OMGosh! Is it important to wash the kits first? If so, then why? I have never washed mine and have been using Genesis paints since I started.

— Begin quote from “NeomaGo”

OMGosh! Is it important to wash the kits first? If so, then why? I have never washed mine and have been using Genesis paints since I started.

— End quote

To remove oils and powder from the kit before you start painting. I think it is the first step in all of the tutorials I have read. But - of you haven’t had any issues not washing the pieces first, maybe it’s unnecessary??

I always do alcohol rub down then wash with Dawn and then wash second time with baby soap and then let them dry over night and my first coat is always matte varnish with the thinner in a jar. then I do washes if they need it. This might be over kill but I had a kit that the paint would not stick to in spots. This was the advise I was given so I do it on every kit now.

Thanks so much for all of the advice.

Linda

I fill the (cleaned) kitchen sink with very warm water and nice soapy Dawn, and wash each piece, rinse out the insides, and set aside to dry overnight. I’ve started using alcohol wipes, too, just in case any of my body oils have transferred to the vinyl. I apply Genesis paint without any other coating. Works for me!

Well, so far I’ve not had an issue with paints not sticking, but I am gonna try washing and see what that does.

I usually just swish the pieces in soapy water and rinse, then seal them (air dry painter) Wondering if the problem with glue sticking is a problem with the actual vinyl instead of oils from the mold release. It would be horrible to get through the painting and rooting and not be able to glue the hair in!