How do you pace yourself with customs?

I don’t really take customs, but for some reason keep agreeing to make dolls for people. They are only choosing gender and kit, so no stress in that way, but the list is getting long and I feel flustered, even panicky. I’m not organized and am ashamed to say that I was contacted by a sweet return customer who I agreed to make a doll for. I totally forgot. :roll_eyes:

I see artists advertising a certain number of slots per month. Somehow they have it figured out when they can do what. My question is how? For those of you that do this, how do you space them out and organize custom orders?

7 Likes

I hope you get the answers you need. :slight_smile: I wish I had this problem :grin:

Thank you, @Vanniek. I hope something can be figured out before I need a xanax or something. :rofl:

In the beginning, I sold to moms who wanted pretty babies for their daughters. Like this, everything was calm and steady. I mostly sell to adult collectors now. And what I have learned is that if they like your work, they will come again and again. Some have gigantic collections. The serious collectors belong to groups and are on YouTube and all of that kind of stuff, so their dolly loving friends see your work as well. It snowballs fast, let me tell you.

Bottom line: It could be you will this problem someday soon.

3 Likes

Wow! Well you do beautiful work! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:. Maybe someday! I’m not the most organized person so it would stress me out. I’ve gotten emails but not many follow through. Most of my babies have gone to young girls. :grin::tada:

1 Like

I require 8 weeks for all my custom orders. I am, so far, always done early BUT I rather wait forthe buyer’s last payment then have someone wait for me… just give your self extra time(like if you think it will take you 4 weeks, tell your buyer 6) never had a complaint that the doll was finished early, and no stress that way on you :slight_smile: underpromise, over deliver, my motto :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Sounds like a good idea, @NancyW. Do you write the details in a notebook or on a board? Or just have a better memory than I do? :smile:

1 Like

I like doing them but at the same time Im bogged down and I get stressed, plus I want to do other babies…but I still want to do the customs as well…ok, Im no help :wink:
I do let people know how many Im doing and that it takes me 1 month to complete a baby. I should start quoting higher.

1 Like

I keep all my messages on FB, so you can always go back anc check, but most of my orders are dolls I already made and they want one like that. I let a custom buyer choose from German kits only, gender hair style and eye color. They my request a mole, or freckles if it goes with coloring, and that’s it. and there are a few German kits I won’t make, too, if I don’t like the kit, won’t make it… just how I do it, no right or wrong, but saves a lot of stress

2 Likes

Hahaa. You sound like me.

I took them because they were only kit and gender requests. I thought that having creative freedom would take the stress off. It does in a way. I was okay with 2 or 3, but then repeat customers popped up. Nice ones. How could I say no? I went to see my chiropractor and he ordered one. Then I got that message from a very sweet customer whose doll I totally forgot about. That’s when I started feeling flustered. I have been painting all day trying to catch up. I’m hoping that if I get some of them done and shipped, my anxiety will subside.

1 Like

I feel the same, can’t wait to send them home. Im so stressed that it seems like I make more little mistakes. I can’t wait to finish this Darren, I keep messing with him. For some reason he’s given me a lot of problems and his Mommy is my favourite customer, I feel bad and have discounted her for all the issues Ive had with him. I know its just due to having the other two, and now three, to deal with.

Edit…Im also doing other babies that are not customs and I have no problems with them. My Saskia is adorable and I can’t wait to finish him…I think I should only do one custom at a time!

1 Like

This actually might be a part of it too.

When we are painting just because we want to, however it turns out it, it turns out. But when people are waiting for dolls and you are trying to do a good job for them (especially with an expensive kit), it does increase the pressure.

I think you might be right about only taking one at a time or something along these lines. Perhaps it just takes a certain personality type to handle this and maybe I don’t have it. I see artists with long custom lists painting like 5 at a time and are not bothered in the least bit. :smile:

1 Like

Yeah, I do have anxiety so Im probably not the type either :wink:

1 Like