Honest critics please

This is my W.I.P of Madison awake with a full torso. So far has multiple mottling layers, a few skin and blushing layers and creasing/veins. She isn’t don’t yet but for some reason I’m just not getting the look I want :frowning:
None of my reborns have been prototype quality ( obviously lol) however I strive to get better with each baby. Posting to FB you always get “amazing. Perfect. Etc” when in reality even I know it’s not. You can’t grow as an artist without real criticism.
I also can’t get the hang of shading! I am more of a read to learn person rather then watching videos. So does anyone know a written tutorial whether free or paid that would be helpful? Madison is a cutie but I still want them to look like real babies which will come over time with practice but thought I would ask the pro’s here as your babies are to die for!

1 Like

First photo no flash.
Second with flash

1 Like

First of all, your mottling looks really nice! And second, the only thing I would say is maybe the fingers could use some blushing, and the bottoms of her feet look a little dark to me. It’s something I haven’t managed to get right yet but some nostril shading would be good, and maybe some more color on the lips? It’s so hard to judge things like this from photos on a screen, so I hope you don’t mind me throwing my two cents in!

1 Like

Absolutely not! Thank you! I still have some more blushing to do and finish her hands and feet. I tried to add blue undertones to her feet like I saw on real baby photos but it didn’t work as well as I hoped but not finished yet so I’m still hoping! Thank you! I mottled this baby with a honey comb sponge from hunnybuns Reborn supply store and Omg the difference it made! I also did 6 mottling colors on this baby lol

1 Like

You are doing a nice job for the most part but to me it looks a little ‘bruised’. Maybe a little too much blue or purple mottling color? If I’m wrong then the color is ‘off’ on my monitor. Don’t forget to shade the nose inside and it looks like you could use some color on the hands/fingers. Keep going, don’t forget we all had to learn and critique is one of the best ways to do that. Good for you to ask for it.

edit to add: sorry for the repeat info here but I guess we were both typing a response at the same time. At least we were on the same page.

2 Likes

Thank you! I did 6 mottling colors, blue,red,purple,green,baby pink and light burnt umber. I am going for a tannish Caucasian skin tone (trying any way lol)
I’ve still got work on the hands and feet and small details to do, but wanted critics. My husband is color blind so he isn’t much help lol.
The only way to get better is to practice and ask others for advice and tips! My camera is good for picking up color , so your right on in person she does appear a little blueish. I used a thin wash of “redness eliminating wash” which looks like a mint green color. I have a color called creamy warm tint that is a off yellow light brown color but haven’t tried it yet. Since I switched paints, I only have 9 preblended colors until my next order arrives of primary colors and tinting colors. I am using waterborne art and magic air dry. I also have liquidtex that I used previously but didn’t know how they would mix together

Also I am having issues with the girly parts. I have only made 5 full bodied dolls since I’ve been reborning and never know what to do with the private bits. I can’t get the hang of how to shade and my blending could use some work.

If you don’t have a ‘color wheel’ I would suggest you invest in one so you can see what colors cancel/tone down the colors you feel are ‘overdone’. You can get a small one for about $5, pocket color wheel and any craft store, they’re very helpful. Good luck.

I think you are doing great.

Why is prototype quality anyway? Your job is to just paint the best baby you can, a baby you would love, and have fun.

Don’t be afraid of color and layers. You can always wipe it off before bake if its more than you want.

Can’t wait to see how she turns out.

2 Likes

Still not completed yet and still have to finish hands/feet/lips/eyes and lashes and brows plus some final blushing. But added some washes and a 2 skin layers since last photo

2 Likes