Hi! Brand new here!

Send your babies over to me for a play date/photoshoot :heart_eyes::star_struck:

Thanks for the tips!!! Iā€™ll dive in, my kits are due on Monday :crazy_face: Iā€™m super anxious and Iā€™m driving myself batty wondering where to start!

Sadly like any expectant parent I realize too late I am ill prepared. I was going to use acrylics but was reading thatā€™s not a good idea, and I donā€™t have an oven to set the paints I have coming with my kits. Iā€™m going to check out some other air dry paints. I just hope itā€™s something I can get local and donā€™t have to wait for :tired_face:

1 Like

Welcome to the forum. Let me tell you the truth about how I got started- I used my kitchen oven for my heat set paints, and wiped it down very well to use for food, during the process of making my first baby in April- very bad, I know! While I do not recommend this, I just wanted to share my humble beginnings. You can buy a Rosewill infrared for about 40.00 on Amazon, and thatā€™s exactly what I did after I sold my first baby. My kitchen oven has been deep cleaned since :laughing:

3 Likes

The genesis paints terrify me! Are they very stinky? Or is it the thinner that smells?

1 Like

Iā€™ll have to look into that!!! Thanks for the tip about the oven. :star_struck:

1 Like

Neither smells to me, and I have autism and am very sensitive to smells. But the problem is that you canā€™t smell the possible fumes from baking the vinyl and from the thinner.

2 Likes

The genesis paints have no smell. Mona Lisa or a like thinner gives off an odorless fume. It wonā€™t smell, but you must have a well ventilated workspace. Some people get headaches but I have never noticed any smell or Iā€™ll effect. It can be harmful if you donā€™t have air moving through.

1 Like

That is a scary thought :face_with_hand_over_mouth:[quote=ā€œMilosMeadows, post:25, topic:77097, full:trueā€]
Neither smells to me, and I have autism and am very sensitive to smells. But the problem is that you canā€™t smell the possible fumes from baking the vinyl and from the thinner.
[/quote]

Just want to point out that I do use GHSP and love it, Iā€™d never switch and I donā€™t have a problem with fumes or anything. You just have to be a bit more careful

OMG! I can look at your pictures FOREVER! Photography would be my dream job (especially babies and weddings) in my other reincarnations! Back to your siteā€¦:heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

Where are you located?

1 Like

Genesis paint and odorless thinners does not smell, what you might smell is a vinyl when itā€™s hot in the oven.

1 Like

Aw your so sweet

Iā€™m in Rochester, NY

1 Like

I want to be you assistant! I am planning to retire in 4 years. Do you need volunteers-helpers? :rofl: :heart_eyes:

So apparently we can only post so many times in 24 hours :frowning: even PMā€™s!!! I felt really bad cause I was so chatty and then I got blocked and couldnā€™t respond to anything for 19 more hours!!! Iā€™m sorry if I left anyone hanging! I was trying to respond. Honest! I just talk/type too much!

1 Like

Yeah, that happens when youā€™re new unfortunately. Itā€™ll go away eventually and then you can be as chatty as you want lol

2 Likes

I never experienced that. However I know that you canā€™t post more than 3 comments in a row in the same thread. You need to wait for someone to comment and then you can comment again.
I just spamed the thread "Old Kits Paint Partyā€™ with your babies photos, I hope you donā€™t mind.
May I ask how much editing are done for babies photos?

1 Like

We that use air dry pains use acrylics. Do you mean the craft paint acrylics? Like FolkArt, etc.? Those are not known to hold up long term on reborns. But the paints you see talked about on here that are not heat set are acrylics. They are air dry. I do use air dry paints. I use paints from Hunnybuns. They are formulated to come close to the Genesis colors. Check out this site: https://hunnybunsrebornsupply.com She is very reasonable with her prices, and always ready and able to help you. She ships as fast as BB, which is saying something. :slight_smile: I like the paints, but I also love the customer service and the personal service she offers. BOL!

1 Like

Also, the vinyl gives off fumes or odors, or whatever you want to call it, that has been speculated that can be harmful. Read up on that and decide for yourself. :slight_smile: It is not the paints that are bad when it comes to the possible harmful parts, but the heating of the vinyl.

Thanks for the referral :heart_eyes: Iā€™m checking it out nowā€¦ so many options I feel like Iā€™m in a craft store not knowing what to choose lol! I honestly miss the days before the internet at times like this when there were actually brick and mortar specialty stores where you could pick peoples brains in person lol. I am loving the idea of the pan pigment paints(?) looks like theyā€™d be easy to work with. Iā€™m definitely a sketchy artist and I like to make lots of light strokes when drawing. My son has a technique Iā€™ve never seen before. He draws his subject in outlines then fills in details. I guess what Iā€™m saying is painting with confidence (veins & creases) freaks me out because they canā€™t be sketched lol I read that the pencils arenā€™t a good idea for that either so Iā€™m wondering how a cake paint approach would beā€¦

Lol i donā€™t mind. Parents know their babies are on my website and all that entailed :wink: I do a couple light touches to clean up major scratches or acne and then a softening action to the skin and any major blemishes but for the most part I try to keep them natural looking I donā€™t edit out birthmarks or bruising. I was just looking at this one earlier today as a reference photo and comparing it to reborns and couldnā€™t get over what this little one did to her face oy! This is the way parents got these fresh 48 images. I do the softening on studio photos mostly.

1 Like

You have no idea! Iā€™ve tried training so many assistants :crazy_face:

1 Like