Help with first layer - primer?

Sorry about the title, the word for exactly what I’m looking for has totally slipped my mind.

As of late I’ve been having trouble with the primer that came with my paint set (waterborne), it doesn’t help the paint stick at all and if anything it seems to make the paint bead more than usual. I know there’s a certain kind of primer/layer/matte gel that people tend to prefer and I was hoping you all could help me out with the name?

1 Like

Is your paint to thin? I used a matte primer but wasn’t sure how to use it and when I switched to heat set paint I couldn’t get it all off my kits :thinking:

1 Like

I don’t use a primer. I used to but kept having problems. Try a practice limb with just adding Ultra or Matte Gel to your paint. But the main problem for me was that you have to stir the product shaking does not work.

1 Like

I use Americana paint adhesion medium. It’s work well and cost almost nothing. I also sometime use the RebornFx primer.

1 Like

I suppose it could be, but I’m using the instructions/drop amounts that came with the paint set so it should be right :woman_shrugging:t4:

Do you add the gel in place of water/thinner, or WITH your water/thinner?

1 Like

I add it in with distilled water. My mixture is of a milky consistency. I don’t have an exact formula but I use the primary method and start with red.

This is a good post!

This is the top of the page;

1 Like

I also use waterborne art and magic air dry paints, but use my own mixture not what the instructions say. I also use liquidtex as a primer as the one that came with the paint, I never got to work right

1 Like

I started out with the Waterbourne starter set. Firstly, I did not like their primer. It has an odd odor to it. I also found that I had to just follow my instincts and thin the paints more than the directions say.
I very quickly moved away from the Waterbourne and over to Liquetex paints and mediums. I like them much better. Ive also started adding in some Golden products as well.
I’ve used both Glass and Tile and Liquitex Fluid matte medium for priming. Both work fine. I found that the Fluid is a bit on the sticky side, which is great for paint adheasion, but bad for lint. Although the stickness did tone down after some paint was added.

2 Likes

I’ve used Liquitex as well, and while I liked them well enough I was really hoping to find a paint set with designated colors (crease, veins, blushing) just to take the guess work out of it, but I think once I’m done with the waterborne trial sizes I bought I’ll be going back the mixing my own colors. Oh well :frowning:

1 Like

I have the premixed set as well and still make most of my own colors especially for flesh.
They are good paints just takes some getting used to

Have you contacted Stephanie to help you with this? She is always very helpful.

Glass and Tile Medium made my paint peel alter a while which is why I stopped using that.

Oh no. I certainly hope I don’t have that problem.

1 Like

Not everyone has that problem, just me. You will learn what works for you as you go along. No way is the right way. :grinning: Most help is what others have learned what works for them. There are a lot of people that have gone to school for Art including me but non of that transferred to my dolls, lol.

1 Like

I think what you may be referring to is Fluid Matte Medium. That can be used as a Primer. I prefer the Golden Brand.

I also recently tried a sample of the Hunnybuns primer. It is easy to apply in that you just wipe it on with a wedge. I have yet to paint over the kit I put it on so have to see how well paint sticks.

Otherwise, I use RebornFX Primer and really like it.

1 Like