HELP - rooting human hair is impossible!

YES, PLEASE HELP - lol! I’m trying to root human hair. It’s medium fine, virgin hair and it won’t root. What’s the trick? What needles do I need to use? I have them all but none are working. The hair slides right out when I withdraw the needle - or breaks off. This is beautiful hair - not processed at all and doesn’t have any split ends. I ordered it off a eBay as recommended by a fellow reborner.

This is to show what the hair is like (her hat is to hold it in place for visual purposes).

Thanks!

4 Likes

Following. I am curious too.

1 Like

I am afraid that I can’t help you, as I have tried all different gauges and types of needles, and the hair breaks off for me. I know that there are a few that seem to have success with it, so I will be watching.

@AmyR777 once recommended wetting mohair that slips out. Maybe that would work with hair, too?

1 Like

Look - some success is happening - once the head got good and warm and I’m make sure I only pick up one hair at a time. This is going to be a long process. Human hair is messy!!!

4 Likes

That lit head is freaking SPOOKY! Hee hee…

6 Likes

I think that was to help hair not going in at all. It’s worth a shot, though.

1 Like

Oops, remembered wrong, I guess. Sorry about that…

1 Like

I had the same problem then I changed the needle and it worked! A 42 crown needle should be able to micro root perfectly. Only root from the cut end for the best success. If you’re looking to do thicker hair I’d suggest a 40 crown needle. The crown needles seem to work the best. Good luck! Also don’t worry if the hair sticks up a little, just wet it and brush it down and it will hardly be noticeable. I was rooting a portrait doll with human hair but put her aside for a while to focus on. Customa and whatnot. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I would use 40g or even lower, wet the hair, make sure the vinyl is warm and elastic. All that helps to grab the hair, and of-course being absolutely sure you are rooting from the cut end.

1 Like

I found human hair to be so slippery so I have bundled into little sections and will try that - I found I was losing a lot of hair and it was messy until I did this. I haven’t had time to make any headway but will post a picture when I have.

The very first head I rooted I used human hair; my own, which is very thick and the head (playdoll toddler) was hard as a rock. The human hair is just like mohair, should not be so slippery that it does not grab; it has the same cuticles

4 Likes

I think we are working on the same kit, and had the same brilliant idea about rooting human hair. Time for plan B over here. Lol

Your baby is adorable!

@DollyPardon I have gotten lots of great advice from some really amazing rooters but advice always varies according to preference. Most ladies agree that human hair is messier than mohair because it’s silkier (if you get the fine stuff) and you can lose a lot of it if you’re not careful with it (and to purchase it you pay a pretty penny). I have banded small sections and that has helped keep it together and cleaner. I do find that it doesn’t root as easy as mohair. Mohair…I fight not grabbing plugs and human hair…I struggle to grab one - lol! One of the pros likes to use a 40g gauge 6 barb needle so she is ensured the hair is picked up. But she only lays out a strand at a time so no chance of catching too many. Another wonderful lady said she uses a 42gauge crown - which I have many of. I’ll keep plugging alone and I look forward to seeing your version!

4 Likes

You’ll probably be seeing my version with a wig, @Sony72. :joy:

You have way more experience and if human hair is giving you a hard time, no thanks for me. At least not yet… I’ll work on improving my skill with mohair before even thinking about human hair again.

2 Likes

What size eyes did you use, @Sony72? I looked at the description a few times and couldn’t see it. I figure I’m going to have a hard enough time with these eyes that I may as well start with the right size at least. Once again, I had the same idea as you to make the eyes look to the side or something (promise I’m not copying you, I read this helps make big dolls less dolly :smile:), but I have no idea how to do it. :blush:

I used 24mm hand blown glass eyes - the kind that are round with the stem - they make positioning the eyes any direction a breeze. But man…is this vinyl ever hard!!! Thank goodness for my rooting lamp (Amazon for $7 and I bought bulbs with less watts).

1 Like

Only been doing this 2.5 years and I despise rooting. I finally have a rooting DVD coming my way to help me out.

1 Like

Out of all the eyes I have, including German glass, it would figure that NONE of them are like the ones you used. They all are half eyes or whatever you want to call them. :grimacing:

Lol!:joy: