Help pls...Don't Know where to begin

I finally have most of the supplies I need to start my first baby. I watched a few tutorials on YouTube but everyone had a different technique and order in which they apply layers. As I sit here looking at my Lainey kit I don’t know where to start…do I do veining first…flesh coat first or mottling first? I wanted to start her today…thanks so much in advance…

I followed the Bountiful Baby tutorial for my first one. The only thing I’d do differently is NOT use the warm blush (or, at least add a touch of blue to it.)

6 Likes

I’ve never seen the tutorials, but if you haven’t already done so be sure to wash the vinyl in non-lotion dish soap and give an alcohol rub when dry before your first layer.

4 Likes

Thanks Amy and Semantics…yes I washed the kit yesterday so it would be good and dry for today

I’ve been doing a lot of research, too, trying to prepare for my first kit. I’ve come to the conclusion that there mostly is no rright or wrong way on how you paint the doll. It seems like one big learning experience in the end. I’ve noticed everyone has their own painting techniques and that some do their layers a bit differently from others. I think you just have to experiment. It’s scary (at least to me) because you don’t want to mess up, but I think most every misstep can be fixed or worked into the equation. A lot of people talk about neutralizing the vinyl and using washes. That’s the part that makes me most nervous I think :open_mouth:

2 Likes

Thank you Becca…I think you’re right it’s all about trial and error and redoing any mistakes. My problem is what do I do first after the kit is bathed. I don’t know where to begin…

3 Likes

You don’t always have to neutralize the vinyl, only if you get a kit that is an ugly grey or orange. Most kits are a nice color to start with. A wash is simply a very thinned out paint and applied with a sponge or brush in layers to bring depth to your doll. Don’t forget if you are layering your thin layers, you will not always see any change in the vinyl right away. I am like most and don’t have a plan when I start a doll I layer and mottle throughout adding color as I see it needs it. If I hate something you can always correct it.

4 Likes

Kim, I’m starting to like her with one eye! Lmao

4 Likes

No problem. I hope your baby turns out beautifully! I look forward to seeing her finished. Lots of lovely advice from some wonderful ladies on this forum!

hahahahahaha!!! I have tears from laughing…that was soooooo funny!!!

1 Like

Well! Now I have an idea for the dumplin challenge! :+1:t2:

4 Likes

I usually start with a thin yellow wash if the kit doesn’t need neutralizing. If you are following a tutorial, the best thing to do for a first baby is follow the steps on the tutorial just like they are. I usually do a few thin red and blue washes before I do any veining. I think the BB tutorial starts with veining first? I’m not sure about that though.

2 Likes

You can give her an eye patch. :wink:

I ran through the whole process on a test leg before I did a kit. It made me feel more comfortable with the painting and baking. I even rooted a little on the leg so I could get a feel for it.

3 Likes

You did a hairy leg???

8 Likes

Yep! Here it is:

14 Likes

I usually start with skin tone first mainly because the blue can stain deep into the vinyl and I feel that there should be at least one layer of paint to protect the vinyl from the blue. Then I do the veining and another 1-2 layers of flesh, then 1-2 layers of light mottling, another thin layer of flesh, then blushing, lips, nails, and tips. And then I look at the baby and decide if I need to do any more as a mint wash or a burnt sienna wash or if I need to just add the satin or matte to finish. It all depends on the look I am going for I have also had to redo veining on some kits because the blue disappeared.

3 Likes

Oh my gosh, Amy…it has a swirl on the leg. Oh, I’m laughing so hard I can’t breathe.

2 Likes

LOL!! Yep! That was my first swirl!! :hushed: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

The most important thing to do is to get something on the vinyl. You just have to start. I agree with whoever said to follow a tutorial for the first doll. Just do step one. Then pause and tell yourself, “Hey, I’m a reborn artist now!” Then do step 2…

6 Likes