Hello all! New here

She is an adorable 1st baby. I gave my first baby to a friend and sold my second for $75

1 Like

Welcome to the forum!

She’s a lovely 1st baby.

My 1st went into the trash can. I thought it was too pale and didn’t know that I could add more paint :roll_eyes::confounded:

There were no tutorials back then.

1 Like

Welcome, glad to have you here. Your baby is lovely and a great first. I melted the top of my first babies head and had to glue wefts to cover it, lol. Learned quickly to watch how close the head is to the heating element. Enjoy, look forward to seeing more of your babies

1 Like

Nice job. I don’t know if I would have sold my first one. Maybe make her one. Welcome.

1 Like

Welcome! I see talent there! Sweet baby !

1 Like

I too am new! I jsut started and have watched and read so much stuff for over a week now on reborning. I have purchased my first kit here and I should receive her tomorrow. I decided to try my hand at acrylic paining first and see how I like it and if it works for me before I spent a lot on GHSP’s I am more familiar with how they work than acrylics but I am willing to try and learn. Any advise would be great. I also am curious at waht needle I need for rooting mohair what guage. Thanks so much!

3 Likes

Lovely first baby.

1 Like

Hi and welcome! You did a great job on your first baby! I am one of those that did sell my first. I needed to recoup some costs before I continued. It is expensive to get started! I did however, chose to keep a favorite later on.

2 Likes

Thank you all for the kind words and encouragement! What a lovely group of ladies you all are. I am learning so much from you already.

@Alypants I was kind of thinking the same thing - it would sure help to recoup some of the costs! But I don’t think I can bear to part with Brooklyn. Lol I’ve already started on a different one for my friend. She was fine with me keeping the first one and said she might like to have open eyes anyway so it’s giving me an opportunity to try my hand at an open eyed baby too! I am loving this so much!

@sweeethearts I just have the GHSPs that came with my beginners kit for now and I’m already wishing for more colors… I’d love to have the primary colors so I could mix any color I want. Starting out with acrylic isn’t a bad idea but if you do want to switch to GHSPs at some point, I can recommend an oven that is so much cheaper than the Nuwave brand that works so well. I was hesitant to start with heat set paints at first because of the cost of the oven but I’m so glad I went with this cheapy one. Lol It’s the Mainstays turbo convection oven and I got it for about $40 on Amazon. For the needles, I’m sure many others could give much better and detailed advice but the ones I used for her are the 42 gauge crown needles. The bigger ones that came with the beginners kit seemed to leave much bigger holes and these leave them nearly invisible. I learned about the 42 g crown needles from Kim’s reborn with me tutorials. If you haven’t come across her yet, she’s wonderful. And I could listen to her voice all day long. :joy:

I have found KIM and I have searched for those needles but I guess I just havent had any luck on finding the right place. Have you found them on Amazon by chance its my go to place!

1 Like

@sweeethearts I found the 42 gauge crown needles on Bountiful Baby. I hadn’t looked for them on Amazon but it would be worth a try.

Search this full of wisdom forum. You will find lots of proof stories that anything else but NuWave didn’t live long enough. Yes, you are paying less upfront, but then you’ll buy NuWave anyway :wink:

1 Like

@YelenaRey Oh no! Well when this one dies I’ll go for the Nuwave but hopefully it’ll at least last long enough to save up the $$ for one. Lol

Welcome! I use 42gauge 3 barbs.

1 Like

Just a little tip if you don’t mind. If you are going to use acrylics please don’t use ‘craft’ paints. They are not created for this hobby and will not hold up. If you want to use acrylic paint make sure you use ‘professional grade’ paint (which are expensive). Also, use the proper ‘mediums’ with them. Genesis heat set paint seems expensive but it lasts FOREVER. Good luck on your new adventure.

3 Likes