Have you heard?

All US Toys R Us stores are closing? They’re 5 billion dollars in debt. I want to get over there. They’ve got great baby clothes and all sizes of diapers. I’ll miss this store.

2 Likes

They are. But there is a toy company trying to save it. And KB toys is coming back.

1 Like

In the Netherlands they already closed their physical stores, it’s only an online shop now.
Such a shame, too. I bought one of their journey girls dolls and loved it, but now they don’t even sell those anymore.

1 Like

The ones in Canada aren’t closing. At least the one by me isn’t.

1 Like

I am ready for KB toys. I went to Toys R Us last year for Christmas shopping and turned around and walked out. If they had what I wanted the price was insane. I was so disappointed with their selections and have not been back.

3 Likes

Ah, hate seeing some stores close.:expressionless:
God bless.

1 Like

Babies R Us is included in the closings. Mine has 9 days to go.

Laurie

1 Like

Charles Lazarus, who founded Toys “R” Us 70 years ago, died Thursday.

I just wanted to say to him - Thanks for the memories and making a lot of children and families happy! RIP Mr. Lazarus you will be greatly missed!!

1 Like

That’s American only - I imagine the Canadian stores will begin to offer shipping to the US once the stores there have finished liquidating, at least! :slight_smile:

I have a Babies R Us close to my house and I am really going to miss them. I get lots of cute clothes for my dolls there. I’m so sorry they have to close.

It’s unfortunate. My family didn’t have a lot of money for toys when I was small, but my parents occasionally frequented Toys R Us. As an adult I earn well enough but often found that the store wasn’t competitive with their pricing and didn’t have a variety any different than lower priced online shops. More times than not, when I visited the store, I left empty handed when shopping for gifts for my son. When my son was small I only bought a few items from Babies R Us. They did carry a good variety of breastfeeding supplies and they were the only shop in town to offer the Dr. Brown’s bottles at the time (15 years ago). Baby furniture, car seats and clothes seemed a bit too much for my budget back then. I did stop a couple weeks ago just to look around at Babies R Us in case I found anything nice for one of my dolls. I found a doll’s car seat for $10 on clearance. I also picked up a pair of shoes and a package of socks. On clearance, the prices weren’t any better than the regular price at Target, but I was there, so I went ahead and purchased those things. I had wanted a doll’s car seat for a little while and hadn’t found one large enough. Only when I visited Wal-Mart the next week, they had a different seat, same size with a nicer pad and the colors were less loud. My dolly is spoiled now and has two car seats to match her outfits. :slight_smile:

So, I do feel bad for those now looking for new work, but IMHO, the shops have not had competitive prices for a very long time, didn’t offer a great variety and it’s not terribly surprising to see them go. It is too bad as I remember how exciting it was as a child to visit a store that catered exclusively to children. It will be interesting to see if a KB Toy Store comes to my region. As I recall, that shop did tend to offer toys and gadgets that other shops did not, at least it seemed so years ago when I was a kid.