Has anyone's dolls hair ever changed color?

I have had my sweet boy for 7+ years and have never really messed with him except to change his clothes maybe 2-3 times. He is my only silicone and has been a display doll only. But over the last 4 years I have noticed his hair change considerably from Bright orange red to pale blonde. :rofl: He is my only red head and was rooted with slumberland mohair. Has this ever happened with anyone else’s baby. He has not been in sunlight and I have never washed it, so I am unsure what happened. But wondered if anyone else experienced this with Slumberland mohair?
Hair Now

Hair 7+ years ago

2 Likes

The only thing I would consider is fluorescent lighting. I used to work in a shoe store, and the shoes we had on the wall display would drastically change color from the lights.

1 Like

True, the UV light in fluorescent lighting, and possible in LED lights, can fade some things.

That’s a big difference but I like him as a blonde. I wonder if putting diluted sunscreen on mohair would protect it from fading.

I just ordered some chocolate brown colored mohair from slumberland. It is my first time using it as I am a beginner. Has anyone else had any of their slumberland mohair fade? @withlovenursery you may want to reach out to slumberland. Was it originally the Auburn spice color?

If they used hair dye instead of the acid dye it will fade. Direct sunlight will also fade the colors.

1 Like

Yes I have :confused:. This is HP babylocks. It’s been stored wrapped in tissue paper in a folder so not sitting in any kind of light. I used it to root a baby for my mom. When I saw her baby a few months ago and realized the top of the head had faded and the back was still dark I took out the hair and saw that the bunch did the same thing. I cut my hair in shorter pieces when I root so clearly the top of the head got rooted with the stuff closer to the cut end and the back rooted with the other end.

This is really disappointing. I hope all mine don’t fade.

1 Like

I have some black that I washed and it’s now brown.

2 Likes

I’ve had several batches of Mohair that has changed colors over time. I think it has to do with what type of dye they use to color it. Most of my dark browns turned light brown or gray looking over time. The most severe has been a dark brown that I purchased which is now faded into a lavender color, and I’m really grateful I never got around to using it!

1 Like

I had a doll who had light brown hair, it faded to ashy blonde then a yucky grey over the course of 2-3 years :frowning:.

1 Like

Yeah I don’t know. Baby has been displayed on my dresser in my closet, which doesnt have much light in it. So I don’t know. I don’t think it is florescent lighting because there is no lighting in my closet. I have no idea. I just wanted to know if anyone else has had this happened. I don’t think I will ever know the reason why. I do still think he is cute even with the blonde hair.

Ya it is disappointing. At least if mine was going to faded it could have faded evenly. Now it looks like two totally different colour hair. Wouldn’t be so bad if the baby went from dark brown to light brown, but a baby with an ombre dye job :grimacing:

Was yours HPBabylocks?

Ya the blonde looks cute on him. Totally could have been a lot worse.

No. I havent had issues with hers

1 Like

Which brand was it? Slumberland?

Hmmm I’ve had two dolls that the hair dye has washed out but I think mine was probably from water on a tooth brush to style the hair.(even though I say I’ve probably only done their hair 30times in the five years I’ve had them) my Ramey started off with black hp baby locks and now it’s really

like a like blonde brown lol.

2 Likes

1 Like

So should we now disclose hair color may fade over time?