Has anyone had this problem?

I have noticed after I bake, the the paint on the side that is face down while baking is not taking the paint.
I didn’t notice it until i started another layer. One side the paint went on smooth and looked good. The other side that was faced down, the paint was all bloched up.
What do I do?
Robin

I never lay the head down, I sit it up to bake. What do you lay it on while it bakes? I use kitchen towels.

I also let the paint dry on the head and limbs. I use a drying rack. Not long, just so the paint doesn’t still look wet. And I also never lay the head down on a side to bake.

My head won’t stand up. Is there a baking stand you can buy.
I use towels. to lay the head and limbs on.
Robin

I’m not aware of baking stands you can buy, but if you take your old cookie sheet and buy some large dowels you can screw them directly into the metal and it can be your drying rack and baking tray

You can buy a wooden coat rack from Home Depot. That is what I use. It is just a wood bottom with wooden dowels. I have three (can only find two right now lol) I love them. I use them to hold the pieces while I am painting and then it goes directly into the oven from there! Here is a picture of how it looks with the baby on it lol

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn175/lastingmemoriesrebornnursery/100_1188.jpg

Thanks Ladies,
I guess my impatients got the better of me.
My husband has got to make me one of those.
Robin

I turn the head half way through the heating time.

Sounds like it needs to heat longer on that side. change positions about half way thru baking

I guess I need to turn the head and limbs til I can get me a stand.
But is that what caused the paint not to take? I also noticed sweating on the face down side.
Robin

— Begin quote from “Renaissance Babies”

I turn the head half way through the heating time.

— End quote

This is what I do, I only had one baby sweat on me, I just turned all pieces over & rebaked, it came out just fine.

Luv…Marlene

just becareful with the coat rack as i fopund out after hubby made me one that if i wasnt baking all the parts on at once that is the other parts outside toches the wood it leaves a burn mark thats brown. and it wont come out

If the head wont stand, you can place a rolled up tea towel under the chin.

— Begin quote from “Robinslove”

I guess I need to turn the head and limbs til I can get me a stand.
But is that what caused the paint not to take? I also noticed sweating on the face down side.
Robin

— End quote

The paint doesn’t cure if it doesn’t reach the correct temperature. When the vinyl is in contact with the kitchen towel, or whatever, it is not receiving direct heat, therefore not heating up enough. The sweating is normal though, so don’t worry about it.

For heads that won’t stand up I lay them in a corner of the cookie sheet that is covered with a tea towel. The back of the head lays in the corner and this keeps it from moving around and I have never had it mess the paint up and even if it did it would be on the back of the head where the hair would cover!