Has Anyone Else Seen This Silicone from China? UPDATE: I CONTACTED DEBBIE!

I wouldnt buy, for three reasons:

1. Its not right for sculptors to get ripped off on their creations. Ive had too many people try to pass off my photos as their work. That was bad enough. I can kind of relate to these sculptors that work hard, only to get blinsided by these rip offs.
  2. Who knows what is in these kits?? Are they harmful even to handle?
  3. How can you morally,and legally sell something that is stolen from a sculptor? Customers may be indifferent, but i would feel terrible doing such.
    Dont mean to get on my soapbox, but it is out and out wrong of these companies.
4 Likes

Agree, but when the “dolly world” is so small compared to big business, we should support our sculptors instead of buying rip off kits to save money. I also believe they are legally the sculptors on paper and otherwise. Think its difficult for them to do anything because its not factory in U.S.

4 Likes

Tin silicone won’t last. I know Summer Arcello was tin and people had fingers and toes and even heads just falling to pieces after awhile. I know AD pours their silique dolls in tin too. Platinum is the way to go.

2 Likes

I think she is on my FB friends list. She we alert her?

I think it’s a counterfeit, too. And, I will not support counterfeit sellers. I cannot stop others from doing it, but it’s beneath my personal standards.

2 Likes

I have to admit that I have bought number of kits from China. To start with at that time I did not realise they were knock-offs, but even when I did find out, at those times they seemed to be long discontinued kits, and were only selling because they were so cheap. I did not feel that guilty if the sculptor decided not make more few years earlier, and when I asked one of the people selling them they told me that they made the molds and once he sculptor finished with them, the molds were theirs to do what ever they wanted with. But now, these Chinese companies are making counterfeit kits very soon after the kit was released, and they copy expensive LE kits, which is very wrong. That hurts everybody, the sculptor, reborners and owners/buyers of the LE dolls.

1 Like

I am totally with you on this!!!

I just copied this from Debbie’s FB page: Please Share ~ DO NOT support and buy any of these Stolen Doll Kits!!! Report them!! They are Illegally Being Re-Produced in China that are supposed to make Limited Edition doll kits for artist’s!!! They maybe selling on Ebay, Aliexpress or Alibaba!! For all artist’s that have had their work stolen and still being reproduced today.!! 404 page Melody Hess Dee Waesche Stastny Karola Wegerich Eliza Marx, ,Reva Schick , Elly Knoops, and many more dolls been reproduced illegally !!! You can join our group in support and help too make others aware of this and help to bring this to an end!! Redirecting...

3 Likes

Debbie Degraaf"s sculpts have been stolen a lot by China. I preordered a Chloe kit from her and before I got my kit, China had started selling her Chloe’s using her photographs and her name. The story goes that they produced a large number of kits that did not meet her approval and had to do them over. Instead of destroying them they listed them on Ebay using her name and prototypes but no COA. I received my kit with the COA but I feel that China has somehow lessened the demand for that kit.

1 Like

Babyclon was actually using different sculptors parts,meshing them together. Molding and making silicones out of them . Huge issues. Axel Marx actually called them out for using Marx limbs. The avatar baby at Rose had Julien limbs, Blick body from Coco i believe.
Just because “everyone is doing it”, or thats the way things are going, does not mean we have to participate by buying.

5 Likes

I believe they do have copyright. Its illegal. If you really want more info…tons of info at doll artists against illegal doll makers group on FB. Check it out.

1 Like

Just looked through the posts on the fb site. They do have copy right and china has to follow same copyright rules. The problem they have is as soon as a company takes them off site, they start another site under a different name. They said its like a merry go round and until Chinas government fixes this, nothing really can be done. Look on that fb site post from Feb. 20, explains it all. Most of the sculptors that are getting dolls illegally made chime in on that fb site.

4 Likes

I contacted Debbie. She responded. It is indeed a counterfeit. The only way to stop them is to not buy their counterfeits.

3 Likes

Simply put: patents refer to an invention, whereas copyrights refer to the expression of an idea, such as an artistic work. The rules are different for each. I do not understand why the sculptors are not constantly reporting these kits on ebay and insisting that these listings are in breach of copyright. If the Chinese sellers could not flog these kits on eBay, they would not buy them in bulk on Alibaba, and their options to market them would be greatly reduced.

4 Likes

Maybe, we should keep a thread going with links to counterfeits.

3 Likes

Of-course, there is another option; the sculptors should be producing kits until there stops being demand for them, just like BB does. Maybe have pre-sale, and produce whatever number of people put down deposit plus few extras, then when all are sold try another pre-sale for 2nd lot. Basically, keep producing them as long as people are ordering. The dolls then would not be limited edition, but they should come with COA, and it would make it less economical for the Chinese to be making counterfeit kits.

4 Likes

so cute, very nice she looks really good. I figure I will try this one as I already have it, but I will not sell it, it will be a keeper, don’t want any trouble if you know what I mean.

1 Like

I bet that was many years ago. I also had similar experience many years ago, back in the dark ages, when you had to send item back for refund. Now, you only have to mention that you are not happy and the refund is in your account; no need to even start case or send anything back. When I had problems with kit from China couple of years ago, they sent me replacement and let me keep the faulty one. When i recently bought an electrical appliance advertised with plugs for Australia and it came with European plug, I got full refund and to keep the thing.

If these kits start falling apart, or the paint, which they recommended peels off, people will get their money back without sending anything back.

1 Like