Has Anyone Else Seen This Silicone from China? UPDATE: I CONTACTED DEBBIE!

I saw this silicone sculpt from China. What sculpt is this? Is is counterfeit?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Rare-Limited-Edition-Solid-Silicone-Reborn-Baby-Dolls-Kit-Lifelike-Doll-Kit-/131630300966?hash=item1ea5c6ff26:g:h-gAAOSw9mFWGQZs

I saw it, but I don’t know what it is or how you would work with it.

The face looks really familiar. And, the listing doesn’t say what grade the silicone is.

that baby looks to be a knock off of a Jayden Scholl kit. The head looks like his and the hands look more like his open eyed twin Will.

2 Likes

That’s the Rio kit by Debbie Degraaf (the face at least). Not sure if it’s a copy or if Debbie got the silicone kits made in China. But my best guess is they’re tin, and not very good quality.

7 Likes

Yes, it is Rio, and for that money I doubt it will be good quality. Who knows what is the material. But I noticed that some of the knock-off kits now sell for $120!!!

1 Like

I asked the seller what paints should I use to paint it, and here is the answer: “we always always use Genesis to paints it.” So, wonder what it is made off.

1 Like

Yes you are right. Funny how many of the kits now days look similar. Didn’t someone on here just buy that silicone kit?

3 Likes

I purchced this kit it yesterday, very soft silicone, the head is heavy but has a round base in it, still very soft and real looking, I posed a pic of mine on here yesterday asking for any advice asthisis my first silicone, but so far I am very happy with it. I will be purchasing new paint for thn yestere silicone and will post as I start it. To share with all who have helped with their advice.

1 Like

I purchsed it about 2 weeks ago and received it yesterday.

It looks to be heat cured, I also purchsed a tutorial on silicones so I have some idea of what I am getting in to, but I am veryexcited and hope all goes well, I can’t start until all my supplies come it.

1 Like

I commented on that thread about the Cirius paints. I was thinking yours was the same kit.

I think this is the same kit and thank you for he link I purchased my new paints, so getting excited to try this!!!

Ecoflex® Rubbers are platinum-catalyzed silicones, and they are expensive. That is why the kits are so expensive. I would be very suspicious of kit that is so cheap.

2 Likes

I was wondering if some of the kits from china that are listed as silicone were really vinyl. Especially if they can be painted with Genesis paints. I know some of the little play dolls that are listed as silicone are vinyl. Does anyone know or are these kits just a gamble? I might feel comfortable painting them with air dry but not heating them. Still barely comfortable hearing kits from BB!

1 Like

I do not know how much platinum is used in the process, but precious metals are the same price everywhere. I am not really interested in silicone reborns, so I have not been following what is going on with them, but from what I understand after just quickly looking at the website posted above, is that Rio was poured in China and was not done with platinum catalyst as promised, and I am assuming the manufacturer is now selling them himself. Telling me that they are painting them with Genesis rings an alarm for me, as well as the price. The question is if it is silicone or just some new, very flexible and soft vinyl? There are heaps of kits around made of “silicone vinyl”, which look very much the same colour.

2 Likes

I have to say, I think he is really cute, and I was tempted myself …
When I said that I was never interested in silicone reborns, that was mainly that I did not find the kits appealing, and at the price they were selling it would have to be absolutely perfect for me to stop and look twice. :smile:

Was just looking at this sellers other items. It is one of the companies that is illegally selling kits that sculptors created. There is Chloe -degraff, Coco Malu-marx, a bunch of Linda Murray sculpts. Some ldc softline kits also. Too many to keep naming!!:cry::cry::cry:

2 Likes

Yes, i am very tempted too, BUT it is not being sold as Rio, which means most likely it is not sold with the approval of Debbie DeGraaf . So in fact is a counterfeit. And once painted cannot be sold as Rio, and unless it is confirmed that it is silicone should not be sold as such. I can see PP claims for refund if the buyer down the track decides they do not want the doll any more and all they have to say is that the listing was fraudulent and doll was listed as silicone, when in fact is not, and we would loose.

1 Like

I wouldn’t touch it with a ten foot pole. It sounds counterfeit and hard to sell plus I wouldn’t even be sure the alleged silicone was safe to handle. Obviously the sellers don’t mind being a little “tricksy”.

3 Likes