Harder than I thought - ethnic baby

Omg, this tougher than I thought. So many layers! I maybe be doing it the long way but I haven’t seen a tutorial to show me anything different. Here is a picture of Twin B. Twin A is curing. WIP.

2 Likes

Your photo didn’t load!

1 Like

Can you see it now?

2 Likes

I see a picture of Joseph.

4 Likes

Good. Can’t tell if I’m going in the right direction :weary:

1 Like

Sorry, but what kind of paint are you using? How dark are you going? Are you mottling? I use Air Dry and the Primary method. I’d like to help if I can. What kind of help do you need?

I tried following a tutorial and realized I had to take what I learned and do it my way.

3 Likes

I’m not going any darker. Well, the mottling was done using reddish, yellowish and purplish color. After looking at Sue-Ellen’s tutorial I realized that I should have used blueish mottling instead of purple. To correct that I’ve tried yellow washes, to no avail. So I’m just go to continue the process and see what happens.

Being a first timer, it’s hard to know what to expect during the process.

Does the paint surface suppose to look dry/dull/ashy? When it does, should I do a few washes? I’m not doing anymore blue washes because it tends to darken the complexion.

When I do the final coat of matte Varnish, would it soften the overall look?

I used thinning medium on one of my layers. Would using it again bring back a little shine to the baby?

1 Like

Natural sunlight photo. they look so dry to be oil paint. Baby A will be lighter than Baby B.

1 Like

The ashy look could be from using the flesh paint. I avoid it for the most part. Get to creasing, shading and blushing and that will improve things. And once varnished it does soften it a bit. Ethnic babies are harder and more time consuming for sure!! Keep going

2 Likes

@danidolly, yes ma’am …and that’s exactly what I decided to do…move on to details

2 Likes

I would add a blue/brown wash to tone down the orange-red. I think you might need one or two thin layers, then crease again. Try to avoid darkening the face anymore. Once details are on you might be surprised how things change. I am learning not to do mottling on AA babies, no need.

3 Likes

I was looking at your babies and think that they are coming along. The skin colour is nice and a realistic shade .The creasing and shading in the face especially around the eyes could be darker. Usually where the skin is blue in the tutorials for Caucasian babies is where it is darker not lighter. Shadows are dark and the tops of cheeks nose chin are the lightest. I wish I could show you Kate Charles diagrams. For your first time you are doing really well. Once lips are too, they will look better.

1 Like

Arms and legs look really good. BTW. And the "ashy " look is better with the blushing applied. The top down view photo shows them off nicely. Good job so far!. Keep painting!! Each layer they are getting closer to real babies.

1 Like

I just emailed Kate Charles so I can purchase the tutorial. I’ve see this book before and one by Brooke Nicole, wasn’t sure if Kate’s offered useful information because there was such a big difference in price. Thank you.

Brooke Nicole does gorgeous work. Very unique–she has her own way of portraying her babies. Extremes in colouring. Kate’s is more realistic and less artistic. There is only one Brooke Nicole so learning to paint realistic is easier and WAY cheaper. Cierra’s tutorial would be awesome too. Her babies are flawless!! Once you get the basics of reborning you can develop your own style.

2 Likes

I got those charts you were talking about :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:. The kits have been stripped and I’m going to try again. Thanks @danidolly

@Keneen You stripped them? I guess you have your reasons but remember that they always look weird before they look realistic. Don’t get discouraged next time. You were doing fine.

1 Like

Not discouraged, more like unsatisfied. I’ll update you on the new look :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

OK :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Is this your first reborn?
If so. Be patient. The skills and techniques you need to know take time to learn. Your first babies won’t be perfect. But you will improve with each baby.
Expecting a perfect skin tone. Particularly an AA. for a first doll is a tall order and unrealistic. Give it time. Keep trying. You will get better!

1 Like