Hard vinyl?

Does anyone have advice for hard vinyl doll kits? I have one I want to root. I tried using needles I custom made for pronged needles and I got about 10 hairs rooted before it snapped. I tried buying rooting needles and they snapped too. I have tried heating the vinyl but I don’t want to warp the head. Any advice?

Do you have a Himalayan Salt lamp insert? They work really well and are pretty cheap. You can get them online, make sure to get the type with ‘wings’ (the wire things that hold it in place). That’s what I use and they are AWESOME!!

5 Likes

I had never heard of that. Thank you so much that looks perfect. She’s a toddler size doll so it would be perfect

1 Like

Glad I could help.

I need to buy one too. Normally I do not root hard heads… I paint hair on those ones… but when it is a hard headed custom that needs rooted… I have to get one… :confused:

3 Likes

Do you just put the doll head over the insert with the wings on the outside of the doll head? I have not heard of this but it sounds great.

4 Likes

You can put rice in a sock…heat i the microwave for a couple minutes and use that inside the head to warm.it.

2 Likes

You can do the search on the forum. It so many posts about it here. You don’t have to buy the whole salt lamp.
This is what I use and love it. It’s pack of 2 for $11

3 Likes

Thank you

1 Like

And when I ordered mine (I think from Amazon) I also ordered extra bulbs – just in case.

2 Likes

No, the ‘wings’ go on the inside, they spread out and keep the light in place. They are awesome.

@lynn Thank you. I ordered one.

I’ve tried the rice sock method before and it didn’t get hot enough. It might work with newer microwaves but ours is old. Also she had a wig before and they used rubber cement to glue it Dow. :dizzy_face::dizzy_face::dizzy_face: so I’m working around that too since I don’t want to remove the paint too

How do you hold the lamp inside the head? Mine looks like this:
https://www.heavenly-illusions.de/shop1/de/waerme-lampe

Unless, it is held firmly in the neck it will burn the vinyl when it touches it.

1 Like

You are absolutely correct. This is what I did - used cutted ends of ties. They work like that plastic plug in your link. Toothpicks worked also, but they moved, ties stay in place and work great.

3 Likes

That is clever ! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am using the lamp inset. It is awesome. Thanks @YelenaRey.

1 Like

You are welcome! Happy rooting!

I just bought some too and it has a base that fit perfect to hold it at the neck hole. I haven’t rooted with it yet… do you root with it still inserted? Any chance the needle would ever touch the bulb? Just random questions I thought of once opening the box. Lol

1 Like

Yes, I root with bulb in and needle never touched the bulb (yet). If I feel that temperature too high I use dial to reduce it, but leave a bulb in.

1 Like