Hard headed AD babies rooting question

Is there a way to root the Ashton Drake heads with the hard plate lining the skull? Has anyone done it? And if so would you recommend me trying it? Any info would be greatly appreciated. There’s a doll I really want to make but it has the head plate and I don’t really like wigs so I’m not sure what to do. I’ve heard the plate/lining is metal and I’ve heard plastic. Anyone know for sure? The sculpt is AD Allison by Maribel Villanova.
Thank you!
Hugs,
Nicole

Hi,
I’ve never done one of these but I have a book Realistic Hair hand rooting techniques from Excellence in Reborn Artistry. The author is Jeannine M Holper. She has an example of one like this. The description says it has a soft silicon viny over a hard vinyl shell. She says she used a 36 felting needle on her and inserted each strand just below the scalp of the soft vinyl, but not into the hard vinyl portion. Apparently it couldn’t be glued then. The doll looked beautiful.
Hope this helps a little. Maybe someone has tried this type of sculpt.

Thankyou for that info! I’m interested now. How do you like the entire book overall?
Hugs,
Nicole

Yes you can hand root these dolls. I have done two Charlies and Katies, etc. from Ashton Drake. Once the head has been put in the oven it does soften a lot.
Thanks,
Dianna

Hi,
In answer to your question about the book it helped me a little with techniques but it wasn’t as good as I thought it was going to be. I would really like someone to put out a much more detailed dvd about hair rooting techniques. I really learned more about rooting from this forum than from the book. It did show examples of different hair styles and which direction the needle goes but I learn more by watching some techniques. A lot of it had to do with not so much the kits but how to reborn an existing doll so I think the book was a bit dated.

I really look forward to much more detailed instructional dvd’s.

Victoria

Ok well thanks for letting me know. I was also hoping for some good instructions I could have at home.
hugs,
Nicole

I have reborn several of the AD dolls with the hard shell. I used a heated rice sock to keep the head warm and didn’t have any problem. It was several years ago and I was useing size 36 needles. I don’t know about the finer needles we use now.