Hair for Gabriella

How much long hair would it take to root Gabriella realistically.

2 Likes

The child doll, right? It takes a lot.
What I do, is purchase a complete set of hair extensions from Sally’s beauty supply and cut the hair off of the clips, and root it. Takes 2-3 packs for a large doll. But I’m not sure exactly how much hair that is.

2 Likes

I would say 2 -3 ounces depending on how thick you want it.

1 Like

I would have guessed 2-3 ounces but she wants long hair so how do you measure that in ounces? Would it be 6-8? I’ve never done a doll this big. Gabriella is the size of a 5 year old.

1 Like

I bought my hair for Gabriella off eBay. Look for human hair ponytails. It’s expensive but comes in all lengths. And it’s strong. I couldn’t find long hair in mohair and it’s so fine that it would have taken so much and cost a fortune. I got 3.5 ounces for $60.

I have only rooted her some at the front as her big head is daunting and I’m taking it one section at a time and then stopping to do other things. Human hair is more slippery and since you’re working with longer sections than mohair its a little more challenging. But, after I cut pieces to length and wrapped each section with a little elastic, I found it much easier to work with.

2 Likes

Most of the human hair extensions saids unprocessed. What do I have to do to process it?

In the human hair extension world, unprocessed means that it hasn’t been bleach or dyed. It has still been “processed” in the sense that it is prepared and ready to use :wink:

3 Likes

Ok, thanks alot!!:+1::blush:

1 Like

@Katinafleming did a beautiful Gabriela. She can probably weigh in here.

Thank you. This post is really old. I bet she has it figured out. But for someone else it might help. I honestly don’t know how much hair I used. I bought a weft of human hair from someone on this forum. It was a really long, thick ponytail. But it was shorter hair mixed with longer hair. So each time I cut a chunk from the batch, I would hold the end and pull away all the short strands. That resulted in a lot of waste. But the hair was cheap and beautiful so it was fine with me to have to waste some.