Gr-r-r-r! And Phooey!

OOOOO I like that idea, haven’t seen one of those yet. Maybe you could start a new category. I only made the one sweet pea and like Lynn unless someone wanted it specifically I wouldn’t make another.

1 Like

Sorry. Sometimes they just dont cooperate!! I find when i do babies for my pleasure, with no picture of what i want it to look like,these are my best babies. Thats why customs are not as fun. Strip it when you have time,relax and im sure he will be beautiful! !!
Just finished a bunch that i wasnt to thrilled with,customers liked them, but we are are worst critics right??

Yes, that’s true. We are our worst critics. But I do have standards as to what is allowed out of my nursery and this one just didn’t cut it. I’m sure some little girl would have been thrilled to have him, but I would die of shame if anyone ever said he was made by me or came from Honojane’s Nursery. I guess that’s a little ego showing there, LOL. I’ve always been the kind that crumples up and throws away my “almost okay” art. It drives my husband absolutely mad! Besides, I already have two “not so good” babies laying around my work room from when I first started and I didn’t have a clue what I was doing. But those are just to show me that I am making progress. Besides, one of them is my first, and belongs to my daughter. But I don’t show them to anyone. I guess I could be more transparent and admit I don’t always get it right. Hmm… I’m kinda baring my ugly soul here, huh? (Laughing at myself)

2 Likes

Not at all…i have stripped many a baby. Wiped so many painted heads clean, pulled out rooting. If it does not meet my standards, i wouldn’t send it out either. Sometimes they look great, just not our favorites.
Im lucky to have family here that are brutally honest with my work. It helps…lol

2 Likes

100% with you on that…I even really hate posting pics of dolls that I did 3 or more years ago…lol…I know that sounds terrible but I look at them and just cringe…lol Ahhh well, at least it shows we are progressing…or we hope that we are… :wink:

2 Likes

I know that cringing feeling. Ha Ha Ha…

I’m sorry it didn’t work out.

I was doing Precious Gift and the face was turning out well. Or so I thought. But the limbs… oh my goodness… the limbs. I don’t know why but they wanted to catch the color in a splotchy way… and not in a good mottling way, either. First the flesh color didn’t want to spread evenly and I had paler areas around the knee and thigh and parts of the leg. Then a mottle turned them super red. And the feet, oh, my goodness, the feet! Well, when adutt said

I totally understand because when I creased the legs and feet, my son asked, “Why’d you paint cuts into the feet?” :laughing: :angry: :grimacing: :confused:

All in all I have stripped the legs 3 times. They seem to be coming out better now. I have never been so frustrated while reborning. But coming back to what adutt said, my son said the head was nice, but why the bloody booger in the nose? So I look with my magnifying glass and sure enough, there is a tiny thing there. Now, keep in mind it is almost finished, I just had to seal and root the head. Well, I couldn’t let the doll out with the tiny booger, now could I? So what do you think I did? Yup, you got it, I messed it up. I loved that face, too. :disappointed: I took a pointy Qtip used for makeup application and soaked it in acetone intending on removing the color inside the nose and repainting the inside, but the opening was smaller than I anticipated and the Qtip touched the edges of the nostril too much and touched the area under the nose. Now I am trying to fix that too. Sigh. I’ve already done 2 layers to fix it but it’s going to take a lot more and it is really hard to blend because it hit vinyl and the rest if fully painted. I think that’s why I’m on here instead of painting this afternoon. I don’t want to face her. :laughing: :persevere:

1 Like

I can not tell you how many times I have tried to fix a small thing only to turn it into a big thing.

2 Likes

Don’t you just hate that? Why can’t the fix just always be that - a fix? I drive myself nuts. I am really disappointed that it happened to this one as the face was so peaceful. I hope I can bring it back to normal.

I think you had one of the really hard problems happen. You were satisfied, loved the baby, and then someone else pointed out something you hadn’t noticed. From then on the satisfaction is gone and all that remains is a problem you don’t really want to deal with. You just want the nice feeling you had back. I’m sorry this happened and I sure hope you get it fixed. You are probably right to take a break from it for a short while!

1 Like

I’m glad my son pointed the nose issue out, though. I would not want to send something out to a client that was not as good as possible for me. But darn, I almost wish I hadn’t touched the nose. It wasn’t that bad, ya know? And it was a lot better than it is now.

My son is my worst critic and my biggest fan, sometimes. Does the same thing to my cooking. But he made me a better cook :laughing: .

For me it’s my husband. He is always my greatest supporter, so when he points out a problem I have to listen. It’s so rare that he does anything but praise what I do. I really trust him when he tells me something is not quite right.

1 Like

Helen, it sounds like you have a great husband and a lovely marriage. Good for you, I’m happy for you!

Yes, God blessed me with the best!

1 Like

That’s wonderful, Helen. But if you are as nice a wife as you are a forum member, I think you just got what you deserved. For once life was fair in one aspect, at least. I’m very happy for you.

Hmmmmmmm…I might have to challenge you on that one…hahahahahha!

3 Likes

Let’s agree that you both tie for first place. We don’t want you two to start flinging baby parts at one another. :wink: :smile:

2 Likes

@bebe

I had a nasty divorce before this marriage. He was the father of my first two amazing children. But my life was very hard then. Now I am blessed with a great marriage and four more children. Life is not static. It changes. And for me those changes came when I became a Christian. My husband pastors a tiny church so it’s hard for me to leave Jesus out of the equation. I try to keep my beliefs off the forum, but they spill out sometimes I guess.

2 Likes

I’m sorry you went through a bad marriage before. I was raised Catholic and even though I don’t go to church regularly, and have problems accepting parts of the church’s practices and dislike seeing news articles about so many priests being found guilty of abusing children, I have a strong belief in God, too, and try to teach my son those beliefs. I understand wanting to keep our religious beliefs off the forum, but I’m pretty sure there are a lot of ladies here who believe in God in one way or another. :smile: I don’t really think it matters what religion a person follows as long as it teaches to love and be good to others.

1 Like

Sounds like we have more things in common besides the best hubbies in the world…lol I too was previously married, not a nice man…will just say that he ruined me from ever wanting to marry again…thankfully God put my beautiful man from my childhood back into my life …Sometimes I think it was a blessing in disguise being with a rotten specimen the first time round cause it definitely makes you really appreciate it when you have a good one (not that I think women should marry a bad man first for the experience…in fact my advise is "don’t try that at home’…lol) …AND…when you do come out of something bad and are given such a wonderful blessing, there is no way you CAN leave God out of it cause you know you’ve been given a blessing and didn’t just ‘luck out’. :smile:

2 Likes